is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Labor That



The very first job I got in the legal world was for a labor lawyer from Mt. Sterling, Ky, who he hired me in Memphis Tennessee about a year after Elvis had passed away. 

I learned about Labor living in Memphis, and let me just tell you that is one tough lesson. I moved there from Cincinnati, where there was pretty much a peaceful workforce. In the much larger Memphis, there were problems everywhere with discrimination and violence because of it. I answered the phone for Gerber, Gerber & Agee, and it was quite the lesson in life. I answered the phone and learned how to type, which I already knew how to do but I became proficient at typing legal documents while working at that firm, because they told me to do something instead of just sitting there all day and reading a book. I had grown accustomed to buying a book at the used book store down on the mall and loved to read the all day and get paid for answering the phone.

They loved my Yankee voice, spoiled me rotten, and I had a great time working there. Of course, I was wearing a size 7 at the time, and now I'm in a 17 lol.

Back to labor...have you ever belonged to a union? Do you realize how important labor laws are? I submit it's something to ponder!



Above is a photograph of some girls (at the turn of the century) that were oyster shuckers, they're like 8 years old and had been shucking oysters all day. Each one of these girls has a look on their face of someone more like 70 years old. I'm so glad that people like Mother Jones came along to do away with the child labor that was so devastating to our kids over a century ago. God bless Mother Jones and the balls she had to fight so the kids were no longer enslaved. 


Having said that, I'm going to say Christmas is coming. Do you know the way to Bethlehem? 🎶 

Peace,

Kimmy


No comments: