is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Love Me a Longshot


I love a good longshot, no matter what.  Underdog? I'm your champion. I love to see come from behind stories develop and am hopeful I will see more than a few as the Derby field starts finding its legs. 


During LENTENOR's successful race at Gulfstream last week, he was challenged for much of the race by a longshot named DIXIE SUMMER'S.


LENTENOR is, of course, a full brother to the ill fated BARBARO who won the 2006 Derby.  BARBARO's plight with fractures, surgeries, and recovery was watched the world over and he was quite possibly the most beloved of all Derby winners.  Some racing experts are hoping that LENTENOR and BARBARO's other brother, NICANOR will race against each other later this year. 


Back to the longshot...this little upstart is staying out of the limelight but could be a Triple Crown contender if he starts winning.  DIXIE SUMMER'S is by Grand Reward out of Vopo, by Theatrical (Ire). He raced at Saratoga, Belmont and Aqueduct last fall, finishing out of the money all three times. He is Vopo's first foal.  Other than that information, I got bupkis right now. I will update, however, as time goes by and the Derby looms nearer and nearer. 





No comments: