is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Could Winslow Homer be the horse of my dreams?


I love the way dreams just prance their way into our lives and into our subconsciousness without asking, without warning.  These little mysterious peeks into the past and forecasts of the future sometimes provide insights, and allow us to revel in the uknown.  Finding ourselves unguarded, we have to walk with faith, live in the spirit. Hopefully new discoveries bring Serendipity, make us  "glad for good surprises."


Why am I babbling about dreams and their importance, though, when you already know all of that, you may ask? 
Well, over the last few years, I have had dreams of a white horse winning the Derby. Apocalyptic symbols and omens aside, I always have a second look when I see a gray filly, or a roan colt, since they are sort of an anomaly in Thoroughbreds.

So could this be the year that the horse in my dreams wins The Big Race?  It's possible my Derby winner will be WINSLOW HOMER,  whose name is at once interesting to seascape junkies like me - but this colt is a lot more than just a pretty paleface.  He has the breeding (son of Unbridled's Song and out of Summer Raven whose papa was Summer Squall) and apparently the wherewithal too. 


How could I resist watching this colt who shares the same sire and owners as the wonder filly, EIGHT BELLES, who in 2008 defeated the entire Derby field except BIG BROWN?  As a sentimental sort of gal, how could I not want to hope for WINSLOW HOMER to defend his older sister's legacy, and how could I not want him to win the Derby, even mayhap the Triple Crown? Well, he's on his way, coming off an impressive win over favorite JACKSON BEND in the Grade III Holy Bull Stakes this past week.




Besides, I have a Winslow Homer print in my home, The Nor'Easter, but the Eight Bells depiction of men at sea by Winslow Homer was the root inspiration for the naming of the ill fated filly, EIGHT BELLES.


Will my sails be billowed as I follow this dream horse's as Derby approaches?  We shall sea.

No comments: