is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Why Do We Labor?

by Kim Thomas
I have had a great holiday weekend thus far. As planned, I went to Ace Weekly for the Front Porch Friday and had a great time with my fellow writers.  My hair-miracle-ist, Julie, came along and got to meet Sandy and Ian Davis, Chris Platt, my Editrix and fellow insomniac RR, and even a lady I always wanted to meet, Tanzi Merritt was there.

We missed Mick Jeffries, our Mr. Toastey radio host of WRFL's Trivial Thursdays, but he apparently is attending some burning man something or other out west...traveled there somehow in his brother's Airstream, I do believe. 

Back to the porch, though.  You won't be surprised to hear that yes, there were twitpics taken and posted.  I even got to meet Ace Weekly's new intern, Matt Sparks - nice fellow, hard worker, fab attitude.  More porchers: Dan Sherman brought Jeannie and the kids, Eli and Hannah...our twitter friend Jupiter2012 was there, too, and even though I was steamy coz it was hotter than a two-p***ered puppy, I still enjoyed nothing but a very, very cool time.  
I also realized that indeed, even though summer's nearly over, this front porch fun is just beginning.
Those are just a few of the people who crowded onto the porch and enjoyed snicker doodle cookies and/or Mingua Brothers beef jerky and wine -- just the right  combination to warm up for the grand reopening in the distillery district of the new Buster's. 


By the by, Buster's was the corner pool hall that was torn down last year for Lexington's least-favorite developer Dudley Webb 's wet-dream-turned-nightmare that is called The Centre Pointe project. For my friend, Robert Shaw and other readers who live Across the Pond, Centre Pointe can not really be wholly defined here, it's an ugly story with lots of supporting snark-actors playing supporting roles: picture an entire, arguably historic block of a pseudo-southern American town being razed by a big-money blowhard who has put his pock marks all over our community.  Imagine that nothing has been built in that blot-spot for over a year and you may be able to grasp why our fair city has its collective knickers in a bunch.

What is there now is the fenced-in square of green grass that is slightly more appealing than the muddy pit that was there only a month or so ago. The grass seeds were planted after a very public confrontation on the locally televised city council meetings.  Our Vice mayor even accused poor ol' Dudley of misleading us...said we'd been 'hoodwinked.'  Go Vice Mayor Jim Gray...we love you!

Soo, back to the relocation of Buster's and the reopening of this formerly modest and spartan establishment.  The revamped Buster's is something to note, since it's huge now, in an old distillery for gawd's sake, spacious enough to fit the former Buster's (which was just a pub with a few tables) in its foyer.  The new and improved 'pool hall' that can accommodate big bands and the crowds that come with.  It's an improvement of Shakesperean proportions, really.  LollyInsideJoke ;-)

Thus -- and if you've read all this, thank you -- it is my belief that Dudley Webb has served to be the Bluegrass' equivalent of the boll weevil.  If not for this pesky problem, this ants-in-our-pants plague, the apathetic voters and other citizens of Lexington most likely would never have noticed that our city is being bought and sold right in front of our very eyes.  The furor that we've experienced is fueling a community spirit like nothing in this area ever before.  Folks are actually watching council sessions, challenging their words, and speaking up.  So all this turmoil can be a good thing -- and of course, that's just my opinion, but I like to seek out the joy...

Oh my. I am off course something fierce...chit!  At any rate, on Friday post-porch, I went with Julie to Cheapside for a few cocktails and so we missed seeing how Buster's has reinvented itself in this new big space...but I wish the owners and patrons and the cool bands that are already booked to play in this uber-venue all the very best. I sounds, by all accounts, like THE new venue for small concerts, with ample parking - a novelty :-)

So the weekend progressed into Saturday - yesterday, when Rachel Alexandra, my favorite supergirl, ran a superb race at the Woodward Stakes, against older males, and cinched her place at the top of any so-called Thoroughbred expert's horse of the year list.

I also hauled out my Mom's old Galloping Gourmet cookbook last night, and made beef vindaloo and fried potatoes the way she used to just to be sassy.   It was a great day, followed by Saturday night at Lynagh's, with RR and the Yonders.  Quis showed up and took some photos, and as always, he made me laugh and half-ass pissed me off before the Chivas dosage set in and I had my single malt moment listening to everything from John Lennon tunes to Merle Haggard songs.

I had forgotten how much fun Saturday nights can be!  At Lynagh's, I saw my bartender friend Dave (formerly of Nick-and-Dave, the poetry slam kings of yore).  What a treat for me to chat with Dave again and hear his take on the issues of the day!  I got a ride with my Editrix (she was out on the twon two nights in a row, during a full moon - I think the four horsemen were approaching just as we pulled up and found a good parking spot by Big Daddy's liquors)...

So yes, quite the lovely night was had by all at Lynagh's -- including Joe Sonka of all people -- but I retired 'early,' so I could get up and sing with my choir this morning. Luckily, the hangover I'd promised myself never showed its ugly face and I was fully enthralled throughout the morning, afternoon and evening. I'm rehearsing the Willcocks Magnificat every waking moment possible, so it's good to have a distraction of that magnitude.
Sorry, lambchops - I guess I am getting off track here. Alas, it's almost Monday...almost Labor Day, and I am going to move my fan and my fanny to the bedroom, curl up with one of the Rolling Stone magazines my neighbor gave me and turn in so I can fully enjoy tomorrow's holiday.  Now I'm gonna watch the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon, and try not to weep too much...and tomorrow, I think I'm just gonna get some rest.  No labor. 
pray for peace in America,
Kimmy

2 comments:

Alamar Fernandez said...

Glad you are having such a great weekend. And that you are going to rest on Labor Day:)
I am too. I went to a BBQ with friends today and because my arm is in sling...I just kicked back and ate, drank and chatted with friends. But at Thanksgiving dinner I will be in charge of 'Dishes'...that's ok
I have a new fav artist named ASA(Asha) and I posted a tweet today dedicating her song: JAILER to all Dems&Repubs because we are all MODERN SLAVES...in case you missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIobCyXn2_o ...Praying for Peace!

Tanzi said...

I am so very glad that we finally met in person, too!! Because of my visit to the front porch I'm also going to try to become a better twitterer (tweeter?) Maybe. :)