is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Rebecca, my sister

Today is a day to remember my oldest sister, Rebecca Dian Edwards, who was born on October 29th, 1945. 



Becky was 9 years older than I, she was a Scorpio of every color lol, and she stood up for people who had no voice. I will never forget Becky going to bat at Mt. Healthy's school board meetings for kids with disabilities, who needed physical exercise to help them learn. In the 70s, that was quite a feat, she had to convince people to believe something they never saw but had to somehow perceive. How tough was that? 

At any rate, Becky always stood up for these children who perhaps had ADHD, or other learning disabilities. She learned that to develop the motor skills in children helps their brain to function in other ways so that they could absorb the information that was trying to be taught to them. 

She moved to Boone County in the early seventies, and at that point, she used her skills to convince the folks that in Boone County, they too, needed a class for children who were perhaps autistic, or who simply had other learning disabilities that were not familiar with the people in the '70s. 

Today, everyone quotes about ADHD and and other learning disabilities as if it should be common knowledge. Back then, Becky had to go to bat, as I said, for children who had no voice. Again, with the no voice thing. I love her for that. I'll always love Becky for being able to see when someone needed to have someone speak up for them. That is so important! She was a champion for people who seemed to have no one to Champion them. I will always feel inspired by Becky and her beauty. As an older sister, I got to say, she never picked on me and she never pulled my hair and she never tried to beat me up. That is a pretty damned important thing to say about an older sister! When my younger sister was born, I was happy to have someone that I could spoil and not strike or smack around or belittle. My younger sister was someone I treasured, she was always precious to me, just like Becky was. 

I love you Becky, I hope heaven knows how lucky it is you are in its presence. 

Blessed are those who fall asleep in Hope of the resurrection, 

Kimmy

No comments: