is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Friday, June 5, 2015

Start spreadin the news...

Well, well, well. The Belmont is back. The possibility of a Triple Crown winner is once again scratching at our backs like monkey mosquitos that return year after year, especially when a horse has won the first TWO thorns ... Um... legs of the Triple Crown, the Kentucky Derby, and the Preakness.

Like everyone else who loves horse racing, I want American Pharoah to win tomorrow. After all, I live in the Bluegrass!  Thoroughbred racing needs a Triple Crown winner...even with all the dirty play that is associated with racing, horse racing has been around for several millennia. It won't end any time soon. Hur that, Ben?

For Derby, Preakness and Belmont runnings of olde, my family gathered around my television, grandkids all with black olives on the ends of their fingers as that is a form of celebration in the Thomas household for some reason LOL, put a quarter in the hat, and we all raised a mint julep no matter what the race, and enjoyed the spectacle of horse racing at its best.

It has been at least 15 years since I have been with my son and his family during Derby 'season.' I would absolutely forgo any across-the-board bet on American pharaoh or a great pay off on 5-1 exacta, just to see my son and his family again on Belmont day. I would play my old Kentucky home, throw a quarter in the hat, draw horses, we would bet, sing and be merry.

Start spreadin the news...I miss my family. After all, Derbys are holidays, too.




No comments: