is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October Is So Cool...

Can't wait for Allie's annual Halloween party! 
Well, well, well.  

Where the hell have I been?

I haven't written in a while, and I'm sorry about that, please forgive me.  I moved THREE times over the summer, was eaten alive by fleas and spiders in the meantime, and upon my final move, my PC decided to throw a technical clot.  Though it is possible to blog from my iPhone, it takes way too long, and I find myself being inexplicably plagued with writer's block when my typing speed is hindered in any way.  I use a lot of contractions and pray the spellcheck feature will correct my laziness.  That's no way to write a blog. It IS the way to text, though, and I so love the iPhone for its many 'corrections.'  They are the source of many, many laughs for me.  Yes, the only way to write anything of reader note is with a big fat-ass computer in front of me, or using pen and any scrap of paper that can hold more than 50 words. 


Keeneland is where God goes to watch horses race ;-)
So I have not written about 9 to 5, which opens at Woodford Theatre this week and stars some of my good friends, like Melissa Wilkeson and is stage managed by Natalie Cummins.  I have failed to cover the white cane awareness day that is to be held on October 15 to make us all more conscious of the constraints placed upon our visually impaired community.


I have not been to choir in two weeks and it makes me sad to miss out on all that musical fun, plus I miss my choir buddies...but I will be back and what I have learned from my choir will keep me strong in the coming weeks. 

Still playing ukulele, my Green Lantern gig returns in November!
The GOOD news is that I will begin bartending in the Eclipse Room at Keeneland for the Fall meet on Friday.  Sixteen whole days of employment -- I'm so excited!  Yes, I can type 120 wpm, but I have worked for all the good lawyers in this town and the rest of them are tired of me and my attitude.  

The cutest creeker I know...
You see, I don't like questionable ethics, I don't love workers comp defense attorneys and they way they fill and bill and litigate until the cows come home.  I'm squawking about people like the not-so-nice folks at Ferreri & Fogle, the last law firm to despise me and my ways of not knowing that always-pilled-up-and-ready-to-be-a-slacker Greg Little wants me to bill an hour and half for MY opening the mail and writing a letter to the client.  I'm no longer afraid of uttering their name and dare them to sue me. I would love it, actually.   It would be a helluva lot more exciting than watching Big Valley everyday. Wait, I take that back...coz Babs Stanwick knew how to be a woman with ethics, how to be strong and kick ass and look like a million bucks whilst doing it.  Love her!



Yes, I have written tons of stories covering arts and activism in the Bluegrass, but that work doesn't pay the phone bill.  After years of trying to make a living doing what others want me to do, I have finally decided I will do what I want to do, and if something comes along that will pay me for being pleasant, ethical and hard working, then I will absolutely do it ... as long as it doesn't involve compromising my conscience. Otherwise?  Not. Gonna.  Do it. 
Never leave children alone with vicious animals. :)

More news you don't want to know is that my guy and I have been stream-hunting for kayak creeks worthy of inclusion in his forthcoming book of Kentucky's 25 greatest creeks to kayak.  We had quite a hike this past weekend to Princess Falls down near Blue Heron in the southeast part of the Commonwealth.  I was glad to arrive home without one single bug bite, but I had wrapped myself like a mummy so the mosquitoes couldn't dine on my fine flesh as they are want to do.  Creekman boyfriend found a baby tick when we got home, but we euthanized it with lidocaine-filled ointment and it died a peacefully numb death.  We can only hope.  Ticks and fleas and spiders must die, it's just  a fact of life. They're like lobsters, but practically inedible. 


Oh, OH OH!  Also, today is my friend Rhonda's birthday ... pretty sure this is number 39 ... and some day I shall return to the capability of providing her with fresh lobster dinners for her big day.  I have to do the dirty deed of boiling them, of course, since she doesn't want to hear them 'scream,' although I don't think they really scream. I've never heard them scream, anyway, not after putting the lid on the kettle and having a nice Johnny Walker on the rocks.  At any rate, happy birthday to a friend who has known me for a long time now, and who somehow still loves me, despite my will to get high, do weird things and fall in love with creeps like Kevin.  'Preciate ya, Flossie!  lol

Apart from Keeneland, UK Big Blue Madness and the occasional UK football team win, there are some great times to be happened in Lexington,and YOU need to know about them!
  •  First of all, my favorite director Tim X Davis and his students at BCTC are presenting another great production, of THE LARAMIE PROJECT.  It will be staged at Actors Guild's fabulous location on Harrodsburg Road -- just call 866.811.4111 for reservations!  Here are the particulars:
THE LARAMIE PROJECT

October 3rd through 5th at 7:30pm

Matinee performance Saturday, October 5th at 2pm


Location: Actors Guild of Lexington


Tickets $10 for students / $12 for General Admission


Call 866.811.4111 or go online at www.actors-guild.org
 

*This show contains mature themes and language.

In October 1998 Matthew Shepard was kidnapped, severely beaten and left to die, tied to a fence on the outskirts of Laramie, Wyoming. Five weeks later, Moisés Kaufman and fellow members of the Tectonic Theater Project went to Laramie, and over the course of the next year, conducted more than 200 interviews with people of the town. From these interviews they wrote the play The Laramie Project, a chronicle of the life of the town of Laramie in the year after the murder. The Laramie Project is one of the most performed plays in America today.

    Birthday Girl, me and Sandy Davis, who just returned from Europe!
  • Secondly, there is a great exhibit of Bourbon bottles going on at the Central Library.  Get thee to the Little Library and check it out.  It's educational, it's about Kentucky, and best of all, it's free!
  • Arg...I cannot get rid of these bloody bullets! 
  •  Sorry, lambsies...I blame the NRA for all this ammo being inserted where it's not wanted...but mwah, mwah mwah! See you at the races, shows and concerts! 
  • Amen

No comments: