Tomorrow, 5-time CMA nominee for air personality of the year Karl Shannon will preside over the 7th Annual Veteran's Appreciation Picnic held at Thomson-Hood Veterans Center, in Wilmore.
So what's up with this Karl Shannon fellow? I 'met' him on Facebook, because we sway with the same crowd: He's an Exile fan, a devout Chicago lover, and he restores interesting antique cars...plus, he has an irrepressible adoration for Holidays, especially Christmas. In fact, Karl is the only person, other than myself, who simply cannot WAIT to hear Christmas music. It's never too early! I like Karl Shannon -- heck, what's not to like? I asked him a few questions so we could talk about him here in KimmyVille...
Karl tells me, "I've been in radio for over 40 years...and I've always been involved in the Community. Tomorrow is all about Veterans, residents at Thomson-Hood, and any Veteran that attends.
"We'll feed ALL Veterans a FREE lunch, compliments of Chick-Fil-A & Ale 8," Shannon adds.
EVERYONE is welcome to attend...admission is free. "e'll have classic cars on display, games for the kids, the 'ome Depot Kids Build It Workshop,' they can build crafts & get one of those cool Home Depot aprons...all free."
If you just want to hear some cool music and salute the veterans, Shannon points out there will be live music from The Moron Brothers & Dix River Crossing..."two fine bluegrass acts. We will have raffle & silent auction items, all to benefit the Thomson-Hood Veterans Trust Fund. They use that to buy things the center may need."
Below is a list of SOME of the items up for grabs.
Don't let the weather scare you away from this annual event honoring the men and women who serve our country. Tickets are $1.00 each...ALL proceeds go to the center. According to Karl, "EVERYTHING is donated for this event. It's from 11-2, rain or shine. They do have a huge outside area covered patio..and the Home Depot area will be under a tent...and I will be under a tent," he laughs.
I asked Karl if he were stuck on a deserted island and had to choose only four albums, which would he take with him? His reply was, "Me...on an island...it would have to be 4 albums by Chicago!"
So, finally, the answer we have all been waiting for, does Karl have any secret talents? He replies, "My 'secret talent,' I'm still under contract with Curb Records ... signing a contract in 1991 ... once you're there, you're always there! I sing, play guitar & drums. I love to play with old cars. I have three...a 1962 Studebaker Lark, in the family since it was new. A 1978 Chevrolet El Camino, it's my "hot rod." And I'm rebuilding a 1980 Avanti (originally made by Studebaker) that my Father totaled out before he passed away. I hope to have it finished by the end of September. I guess that's about it!"
Here's the list of items to be auctioned at the Picnic tomorrow:
• GUITAR AUTOGRAPHED BY BILLY RAY CYRUS, AND AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE
• GUITAR AUTOGRAPHED BY MERLE HAGGARD, JAMEY JOHNSON & JOE NICHOLS
• MARTY STUART AUTOGRAPHED TOUR BOOK & CD’S
• RESTLESS HEART AUTOGRAPHED T-SHIRT, CD & PICTURE
• TOBY KEITH AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE
• EDDIE MONTGOMERY AUTOGRAPHED PICTURES, AND AUTOGRAPHED CD LINER
• JASON ALDEAN AUTOGRAPHED WRANGLER T-SHIRT & CD/DVD
• EXILE CUSTOM FRAMED AUTOGRAPHED DRUM HEAD, ALBUM & PICTURE
• ALAN JACKSON AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE
• SHOOTER JENNINGS AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE
• JAKE OWEN AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE
• GARY CHAPMAN AUTOGRAPHED CD
• JAMES OTTO AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE, AND 2 “CROCKETSVILLE TRAIL RIDE” T-SHIRTS
• ARMOUR ALL GIFT PACK
• 16 FOOT JUMPER CABLES
• DALE EARNHARDT JR. AUTOGRAPHED PROMO CARD & AUTOGRAPHED HOOTERS GIRL CARD
• JUSTIN MOORE T-SHIRTS, CD, COOZIES & HAT (NOT AUTOGRAPHED)
• ALE-8 AUTOGRAPHED BANNER SIGNED BY LADY ANTEBELLUM, TRACY LAWRENCE, PHIL VASSAR, TANYA TUCKER, JAMEY JOHNSON, SAMMY KERSHAW, LOVE & THEFT, POINT OF GRACE, IRLENE MANDRELL, SARAH BUXTON & MORE! (we can’t figure them out!)
So hey, y'all - go show our veterans how much you appreciate their lives of service and sacrifice.
Have you hugged your vet today?
[*Sorry there are no pix on this post; Blogger must be off its meds again, or angry with me over that whole I'm-voting-for-Gatewood thang...]