is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Gemologist Vies to be a Jewel in the Crown (Kentucky Derby Blogs Begin)

running a mile and an eighth race today
will be the perfect test for unbeaten
GEMOLOGIST 
UNBEATEN, BUT UNTESTED?
If GEMOLOGIST wins the 1 1/8 mile-long Wood Memorial today in New York, he will edge oh so much closer to earn enough winnings for entry into the Kentucky Derby. 
Although his record is perfect -- 4 for 4 --  with 'only' a little over $100,000 in graded stakes earnings, he is still not eligible for entry into the Derby.  The boost from today's Grade I race  if he prevails will have him set for the Derby, now only five weeks away!
If the unbeaten colt is victorious this afternoon, Todd Pletcher, his trainer, will be anxious, though because that last three Wood winners — Toby’s Corner (2011), Eskendereya (2010) and I Want Revenge (2009) — were scratched from the Kentucky Derby due to injuries. 


looking for a fascinator to wear at
the Derby?  Let me know, I'll connect
you with my friend who is fabulously
talented and made this one for me
last year.

For GEMOLOGIST, a strong showing in the Wood is crucial for the son of TIZNOW and CRYSTAL SHARD (a MR. PROSPECTOR mare) with just $103,855 in graded earnings (the Kentucky Derby cut-off is expected to be approximately $225,000 if more than 20 are entered).  If he wins today, an unbeaten colt at this time of the year is an individual to seriously consider, and right now, he's favored to win the New York challenge.  


Look for Gemologist to still be vying for the first gem at Churchill next month!


Last year's Derby was so much fun,
Lisa Osland & I enjoyed our juleps!
I'll be going with Z and her crew
again this year -- can't wait!  
The Derby is getting closer, and again I'm excited over the potential of all the runners and jockeys, the owners and trainers -- it's fun to blog about these horses, but if I don't start now, I'll never get 20 horses quasi-researched and written up.  As always, I do not claim to be an expert, but I will give you totally unreliable advice and unexpected details about the horses that are being groomed for the greatest event in sports, the Kentucky Derby.


peace,
Kimmy




No comments: