is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's Been Great Fun, But It Was Just One of Those Things...

Hello and loving hugs to all who have missed me and written to me asking where I've been and where I'm going. I have been a little absent lately, and I will continue to be absent from Kimmyville, but I promise I will try to post something from time to time.


I have found several really cool jobs which require a lot of time away from the homestead, so I can't blog as much as I'd like, or as much I am used to blogging. I don't have the time to attend rehearsals and follow up with people -- especially those to whom I send questions and from whom I don't get replies.  


I love the theatre community here in our Bluegrass area, though, and of course will do my best to give you lambchops the heads up that you deserve when something cool is coming our way, but I most likely will be tapering off on the blogging from hereon out...and I hate that, because I have come to know and love a lot of very devoted souls who give a lot of time and effort and heart to their efforts both on-stage and off.  


With the Holiday season upon us, there will be lots to see and do, and yes yes yes, I will be watching for the nice-nice and give you the scoopy-scoop, but unfortunately, I have to pay the bills that have been mounting since I fell into the great Unemployment Abyss, and so I will be working, working, working until I can work no more ... and that means I can't be as thorough as I'd like to be. Please forgive.  I love love love covering the arts and activism, but the rent has to be paid, and Mama needs new shoes...so here's a sampling of what I know and what you ought to know to carry you through the weekend...


Tomorrow night, I hope you find an hour or so and get your sweet asses down to Al's on 6th and Lime to hear the Holler Poets Series continue their literary word-fest.  There are so many neat people who contribute to the open mic portion of Holler, and one of the featured poets, James Vincent, is a good friend and good guy and I really hope you will be able to go see and hear him.  Also, Coralee and the Townies will be playing the music after the writers have their say, and since there's no cover charge - what the hell, GO TO AL'S and witness all the loveliness that is Holler Poets Series.  It starts at 8...please do yourself a favor and attend with your open mind and tender heart...I guarantee you will be touched...in a good way :)


Secondly, this weekend will see the end of the Midway Play Festival.  There are 7 plays.  They are 10 minutes long. It starts at 8pm on Friday and Saturday at the Thoroughbred Theatre, and even the Herald-Leader's Candace Chaney gave it a good review...and Candace never likes anything...so you KNOW it's a good time.  Go to Midway and see these fine 7 plays and you will also have the opportunity to see some of the area's best actors do what they do best.  It will close on Sunday with the 2pm matinee, and it's a lovely drive over there...I guess at this point I don't have to say it, but I recommend it highly.  If you need more details, just take a scroll through Kimmyville and you will see what it's all about.  (Note: get half-price bottles of wine at the Grey Goose Midway with your program...giddy to the yup :)


Lastly, I want to make a comment or two about my newest job that I love.  I now work as a bartender before the UK basketball games now -- in the lobby of the Hyatt.  It's a very cool job, it's physically demanding for an old lady like me, but I love to bartend, so I am happy to do it. However, even more than the heavy tipping that goes on, I love to see the Big Blue Nation come through the walkways with 'that look' on their faces.  The Big Blue Nation is an infinite resource of love and inspiration and for those of you who are from elsewhere or who have never really experienced University of Kentucky basketball, I have to tell you, you are missing out on seeing something that is phenomenal.  I saw people in wheelchairs tonight who were so delighted to be there, it made me cry to think of what their day-to-day lives must be like.  I saw an elderly man hobble through the crowd wearing a blue mohawk...he was thrilled to be amongst the throngs of UK fans that were crowding the lobby of the Hyatt...he was thrilled in the same way my Mom and Dad used to be just to sit beside the radio and listen to the ballgames when Cawood Ledford was broadcasting.  I saw little kids, little tow-headed boys who reminded me of my son when he was young and I would take him to every ballgame and concert I could just so he could have that experience to add to his childhood memories.  


We live in Kentucky. It is one of the poorest states in the nation...but UK basketball is the great equalizer. It gives hope to the person who cannot walk or talk or move around like the rest of us - it gives joy to the young and old -- it puts smiles on faces and makes our blood boil as it turns blue.  It's a wonderful phenomenon that is just a special sight to witness, whether it's on the radio, on the television, or even standing behind a beer stand in the lobby of the Hyatt hotel.


If you have read this far, I thank you for listening to me...and if you have read my blogs at all, I thank you for that as well. I have enjoyed covering the arts and activism in the Bluegrass and while I am not going away, I am going to be not as mouthy, not as persistent, not as chronic in my blogging as I have been in the past.  This is for monetary reasons, but it is also because I think it's time to relax a bit and enjoy life as I know it. And life is good...and I thank you again for sticking with me here in Kimmyville.


peace, y'all,
Kimmy

No comments: