is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Leap of Faith


I decided yesterday to stop waiting for something to happen.  Like other people whose lives are impacted by crime, I want to do something positive for my neighbors. I want to equip them with the tools they will need to live safer lives.  

We live in downtown Lexington, there is a menace on the streets, and his name is not Dennis.  

In fact, we don't know his name.  In fact, we don't know much about him, do we?  We don't know when he will return to creep around our houses and look into windows of unknowing residents who believe they are enjoying the quiet privacy of their homes. 

I was glad to talk to WLEX news last night about our newly formed group, United Neighbors of Downtown Lexington, but I noticed that once that story was posted online, there were remarks made about how we need to keep our blinds shut, and the problem will go away. 

That sort of blame-the-victim thinking has us by the short and curlies right now. That sort of thinking can thwart the most sincere of efforts, and is what I encountered today as I made phone calls seeking information to offer folks who attend the 11am meeting tomorrow at Victorian Square. Unfortunately for those who discouraged me, I am not the type of person who will back down in a good fight. I won't do it.

I am not going to listen to the naysayers who think we are helpless. I am not going to mute myself to please those who disagree with my effort.  You would think that everyone would agree that knowledge is empowering, wouldn't you? Well, I found out today that is simply not the case.  For example, we are not supposed to tell anyone what this voyeur looks like for fear it will spoil the case.  False witnesses and all that, you know.  Oh and also, it's 'not a good idea' to tell each other to look for scars, tattoos or anything that would make a certain identification possible. We are, however, to call 911 as soon as we see the guy; not react in a confrontational way, but rather watch in which direction he leaves the premises.  We are supposed to take a photo, but don't use a disposable with a flash, for heaven's sake - get you a infra-red capable video cam instead, because that will be more conducive to a positive ID.  

I don't know about you, but I cannot afford an infra-red video camera. In fact, it was all I could do to get my landlady to put a light on the porch where this creep has tried to peer into my apartment (once when my blinds were open; once when they were shut, by the by).  My phone doesn't take photos; I don't have a flash on the little camera I currently own. 


I don't cotton much to the condescending attitude I had to deal with today. I listened patiently to several people who made it clear to me they don't like women having opinions. I was waiting to be called "Little Missy" at any moment, in fact.  Those conversations happened when I asked for assistance and advice. When I went door to door around Short Street, Third Street, Second Street and Jefferson, I met some very sincere, concerned citizens who thanked me for taking this step. Those are the faces and voices I hear, and those people are the ones who are my mind as I prepare for the struggle that is to be.

Although the unpleasant talks were disappointing, they did not weaken my stance; rather, they just made me plant my feet even more firmly in my cause. I will share my ideas and information, and I refuse to remain a passive victim any longer.  I'm not out to catch the criminal trespasser by myself.  I am, however, determined to give citizens like me and all the residents of downtown who have been terrorized by this man a glimmer of hope that we can once again enjoy living downtown. Perhaps we might even be able to once more have our windows open and allow the fresh air to come in.

So I am asking you to please have faith, friends, that we will win when we stop waiting for something bad to happen. Let's make good things happen.

If you live or work downtown, I hope to see you tomorrow in the Atrium at Victorian Square.  I have invited our city councilman, Tom Blue, and I've invited all the mayoral candidates...let's see who shows up. Let's see who ignores us (only ONE candidate has offered help, and I will let you know who that is tomorrow). Let's vote accordingly.  Bring your ideas, bring your anger and your pain and we will find our Voice and make it heard!

No comments: