is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Silence

Somehow today, I hit the trifecta of death.  First my high school friend, Patti died; then my first care receiver, Evelyn; and now my favorite author, Dick Francis.  

For those who don't know, Dick Francis wrote over 40 bestselling mystery novels, mostly surrounding the sport of Thoroughbred racing. Even though the reader knows what's going to happen (somebody's gotta die by someone else's hand and there's always the racing element somewhere nearby), you just cannot put the books down and you must find every single one once you read the first Francis novel. No vampires or silly stuff like that, either. Just good old fashioned writing by an affable Welsh fellow who like so many other great writers came from a less than privileged childhood to make a living for himself, quit school at age 15, in fact. 

You can read more about him here, lambchops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Francis

My favorite Dick Francis book is Proof. It's about the making of Scotch, and not only is it a murder mystery, it is a story full of single malt moments.  Nice.   

I had the good fortune to meet Mr. Francis once at Keeneland; he was very nice, very modest and couldn't believe I recognized him, he said.  Here I was at 5'9" and he was about 5'2 (eyes of blue :) - we made quite the gin-and-tonic drinking clubhouse pair for about two races, exchanging awful tips and laughing over our poor betting choices.

Hard to believe that when I was born, Francis was still a steeplechase jockey, racing for the Queen Mother.  He was a champion jockey, winning over 350 races before he retired due to injury and began his tremendous and prolific career as a mystery writer. To say that Racing's loss was our gain is a huge and  pathetic understatement. I won't delete it though - I've no proper words to say how profound the loss of this treasure of the writing world is.  I am sure someone will find a more articulate way to express their grief, and so here is my customary Sunday prayer.

The Lord bless you and keep you; 
the Lord make His face to shine upon you 
and be gracious unto you; 
the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace; 
both now and evermore.  
Now unto Him who is eternal, immortal, invisible,  
be glory and honor, dominion and power, 
now and for evermore. 
Amen. 




No comments: