is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Little Drummer Girl



I wish they would play Little Drummer Boy a whole lot more on the radio these holidays. 

I love the song, I love the story, the message of how our gifts matter, no matter what the size.  I am also probably partial to it because it was the first church duet I ever sang with my sister (even though we caught the giggles and barely got through one verse of it the first time through).  The alto part kicks, too :)


Over the years, I have heard a lot of performances of Little Drummer Boy, but one of my favorites happened a only few years ago at my monthly nursing home gig, when talented guitarist/vocalist Wynn Taylor agreed to perform his powerful rendition of the song to supplement my not-so-hot piano playing. I'd asked him to help me out, because his stage presence is only fitting for a spiritual setting.  Also, after years of playing for them, I realized that most often it's the music that the older folks remember, even long after they have forgotten names and most other information.  To those dear and precious souls, every song is a treat for them, as they sing and smile and remember words and tunes - they are a great source of inspiration!


Needless to say, Wynn's performance that day was wonderful, and when he finished his solo, there was not a dry eye in the house.  Wynn was happy with the response and I was happy he was happy.  Since then, Wynn has taken his guitar and moved to Texas, where his music career is thriving. I was overjoyed, however, when he told me recently that he still talks about that gig and what a profoundly moving experience it was for him.  Hard to believe, his performance may have moved him even more than it did the small congregation of worshipers that day.  Bless all their hearts!


Another virtuoso vocalist who sang for me regularly at Country Place is my friend, Tom Bragg (see photos of him and me posted somewhere here in Kimmyville, I hope I can get them posted correctly, anyway). I cajoled Tom into singing solos for me there about 7 years ago; he soon thereafter joined the Chancel Choir; and now he sings O Holy Night every year for the Christmas Eve services at Central Christian.  

To tell you the truth, I think I am more excited about his singing tomorrow night than he is, so of course I want to extend the invitation for you to join us in celebration of the Holy Day we wait for all year long. The services are tomorrow night (natch) at 6pm and 11pm.  Please think about it, bring a friend, bring your parents, everyone is welcome - the service is very low key and yet magnificent in its simplicity.  

I guess I also want to reiterate the lesson learned by the Little Drummer Boy's story.  If you think you "have no gift to bring," think again. We all have gifts.  Sometimes it's a simple gift,  like kitty-sitting for a friend (see photo) - or it could be the great gifts of Voice and Song and Music - perhaps your gift is being a good parent (or child, that's important too), or you are able to make people laugh when they feel blue...that, too, is a marvelous gift! 


But it is up to us to bring our gifts and offer them, and not keep them bottled up and hidden away. God is waiting at the door, just open it up and let Him in :)


Soo, my little lambsies, if you have read all of this, and all of my other long-winded blogs, thankee, thankee, thankee!  I appreciate you more than you will ever know...and I hope your Holidays are wonderful, meaningful and filled with fun and laughter.  

I will conclude this rambling with one more piece of advice:  Please let your family know how much you love them - you will be ever so glad you did, I promise. 
peace and love,

Kimmy






CHRISTMAS EVE
Dec. 24, 6pm and 11pm - Central Christian Church (Short & M-L King), Sally Kelton (harp), Tom Bragg ("O Holy Night") and Rachele Snellgrove ("Breath of Heaven")


No comments: