is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Friday, October 9, 2009

I Get the Drum Sticks



Our President, Barack Obama won a Nobel Peace Prize today, and believe it or not, some people actually complained.  Democrats and Dittoheads alike, there were opinions coming out of the woodwork like a buncha cockroaches. What should have been a time of celebration became an opportunity for snarky-snark conservatives and smart ass liberals alike. All the analyses ad nauseam of this Nobel Peace Prize biz was just disheartening, and also struck me more as thinly veiled doubt disguised as voices of concern.  

Meh.  

I'm still proud of our President. Yes I yam, sweet potatoes.



So I find myself on Friday night, thinking about my next writing assignment which is going to be totally cool, but of course is top secret for now.  For some reason, however, I am trying to twirl a pair of drumsticks that were a gift from Alltech at last week's Poetry Slam at the Downtown Arts Center, a venue we sort of take for granted, I think. The slam had its own set, so the Beguiled Again set was suspended in the air, and it made me think about all the great shows I have seen there over the years, and how perhaps they, too, are suspended safely in the air, just waiting for their cue. Impressive.


It's also impressive that the DAC can be transformed from a Rodgers and Hart musical revue into the stage for the slam last Wednesday night, when local favorites Bianca Spriggs, Sunny Montgomery and Donna Ison all came away winners. Lovely.

At any rate, Keeneland's Fall meet started today and the Breeders Cup is shaping up for another terrific day of racing, even though everyone's favorite bully-filly, Rachel Alexandra has been retired for the year, according to announcement by her owner, Jess Jackson, who is a class act himself...and good on him for doing the right thing to keep her sound.  The Oaks winner has been a much-needed breath of fresh air for anyone who follows racing even for the casual Derby fan. 

So, eyes back on Lexington, where apart from all the racing fever, downtown andthe Distillery District were really starting to rock tonight (just about the time I headed home, of course).  A lot of folks were heading to the Opera House to attend River of Time, the new offering by Joseph Baber about the life of Abraham Lincoln presented by the fabulous folks at UK Opera, who continue to astonish me with their work.  

Thank God it's Friday. Thank God I am home and about to watch Letterman and enjoy my weekend.  My one goal for this weekend?  I am going to try to get interested in the baseball playoffs over the next few days...the Sox are still in it, right?  Anyway, yeah. That's my goal. 

So, lambsies, I know this blog doesn't make much sense, but thanks for sticking with me as I journey through my Friday night after a long week at work.  I hope your weekend is kind to you, and I continue to pray
for

peace,
Kimmy

No comments: