is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Friday, June 12, 2009

Headache Cure

by Kim Thomas

Some of my friends are feeling a little puny today, with voice problems, headaches, heart woes, and oh, so much more. Blame it on the rain, blame it on the sun. What. Ev. It is, after all, still Spring, and Kentucky weather this time of year is ripe for producing headaches, body aches, sneezes that can shake a building -- and they do -- sleeplessness. Yeeps.

Why am I yammering on about all that? Today's under the weather-ness has caused me to think about sharing something very simple that you can do to feel better, for those of you whose skulls just can't take the barometric transitions that happen with the storms/sunshine/storms patterns that seem to have the Bluegrass by the short and curlies.

So try this remedy that I learned a long time ago when I was booking mares at Gainesway Farm. Thoroughbreds are delicate creatures, and since the breeding shed is no place for antibiotics, certain maladies are still treated the old fashioned way. At any rate, horses have such big heads, when they get a headache, they get a HEAD-DAKE, and it completely debilitates them, just like us humans. And so I come back to my remedy that I learned from the wise and wonderful Dr. Norman Umphenour (the farm veterinarian at the time at Gainesway), who told me about this great way to at least temporarily relieve a headache or stuffiness by using the hot water-cold water remedy.

All you have to do is just get in the shower and keeping your head in the water, especially your sinus areas, slowly turn the water to cool (as cool as you can stand it). Then slowly turn it back to warm/hot; back to cool/back to warm/back to cool - spending at least 30 seconds or more on each high/low temperature. If you keep repeating this for a good five or ten minutes, eventually, it will unpack a whole host of allergens and worldly woes that will flow out of your head and circle the drain before they meet with certain demise, no longer having you host their little pest party in your precious head.

I love this remedy because it's cheap, it's easy, and best of all, it works! The ultimate confirmation that this works is this. I told a cashier at the dollar store to try it, and she still thanks me every time I go through her line. Sure, it's not necessarily great dinner table talk, but hey, pass it on if it works for you.
You just have to seek out the joy some days, you know?

pray for peace, y'all,

Kimmy

No comments: