is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Emotional Week, Ups and Downs


by Kim Thomas

Grief sucks, doesn't it?
Just as we were beginning to weep over the loss of another victim of that bitch called Cancer yesterday, just as the news was starting to sink over Farrah Fawcett's death, just as facebook fillies were digging out their old Farrah hairdo photos and posting them on their profiles, just as we began to accept that Ed McMahon was laughing at Johnny Carson's jokes in Heaven, the tweets started coming in, telling the news of the impending demise of another star from our childhood.
As all of the facts were sorted out over the early evening, it began to dawn on us that the rumors were true; that the voice of the boy singer we always wanted to see overcome his demons was silenced forever.
Wow. What a week. I don't want to even know if anyone else passes away today; I don't know if I could handle the news. These three icons of three different realms of entertainment left their mark on the world in many ways. Farrah was the queen of feathered hair, but also took on some post-Charlie's Angels roles that took her out of her jiggle zone. In Burning Bed, her character exposed in a graphic and gripping way the fact that domestic violence is an ever present danger that doesn't always happen to someone else.
Ed McMahon was the king of television sidekicks and publishing house pitches, but he also was the co-host of the Jerry Lewis Telethon and those Labor Day broadcasts only served to illuminate Ed's real talent as a compassionate comedian who stood by Jerry Lewis during the good times and bad. Semper Fi, always faithful, a Marine to the end.
And Michael Jackson was the King of Pop -- I never liked that moniker, but I suppose it was true -- and despite his tabloid exploited valleys, he climbed a lot of mountains and gave a lot of love to a lot of unloved people. He will be remembered by his fans for his tremendous dancing, singing and for the happiness he brought to so many. He will be demonized by his enemies, and that is unfortunate. We cannot judge him, we have to hate the sin, love the sinner...and that's what I hope to see in the coming weeks as he is eulogized and memorialized in prayer, song and observance.

I leave work around 5:30 every day, but before I left work yesterday, I saw comments, tweets and status updates mentioning that Michael Jackson had been taken to an L.A. Hospital. He was not breathing, was in a coma, and was close to death. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I didn't want to believe it. I did not necessarily hold Michael Jackson up as a model citizen, but I certainly never gave up on him. He was a troubled and talented boy, manchild, lost soul -- whatever you want to call it, he indeed was a permanent resident of Neverland.
I also never liked the name "Jacko." Those who will never do anything of note will always want to diminish the talents and contributions of controversial performers by calling them names, harping on their faults, failing to give respect...and we will have to pray for them as well. After all, it is not for me -- or them -- to judge whether or not Jackson was actually guilty of all the alleged crimes charged against him, but I do know that voice, that crystal clear voice, will never, ever leave my memory. Where there is love...I'll be there.

pray for peace, y'all,
Kimmy


No comments: