is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tossing A Few More Hats in the Ring

by Kim Thomas

With the University of Kentucky's Wildcats again snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory tonight, I decided to seek solace in the Thoroughbred race results of the day. Accordingly, after reviewing the various reports, I think I have found a few more names to add to my list of Derby contenders.

Again, for no particular reason other than the fact that they made a good showing and a gut feeling that they are en route to Louisville, I have three more selections who just may be galloping toward the Twin Spires' starting gate the first Saturday in May.

The most impressive horse who dominated the pack today is Quality Road. The son of Elusive Quality won the Grade II Fountain of Youth stakes at Gulfstream Park by more than 4 lengths, under the hand of jockey John Velazquez. That is definitely one horse to watch, but I like another horse in the same race, only because his name is Beethoven. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for classical music! (Beethoven finished third in the Fountain of Youth, in case you're keeping track. heh).

Rounding out the triumvirate of my new BTFFs is the winner of the Grade III Sham Stakes, The Pamplemousse, another gray horse, who apparently blew away his competitors with a six length win with jockey Alex Solis on board.
As Derby Day approaches, keep your blog-noculars on KimmyVille for more predictions based on nothing more than what tickles my fancy, the proverbial bee in my bonnet, the fly in my ointment...well, okay, maybe not the fly in my ointment, but yeah, I'm gettin' a notion or two! Giddyup :)


(Starting gate and Derby ladies photos from the 134th Kentucky Derby courtesy of Tom Eisenhauer Photography)

No comments: