is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Suzy Devere, Girl Next Door

by Kim Thomas

I'm a lucky gal. I'm invited to the Fark 10th Anniversary party tonight at Redmon's, home of Larry Redmon, who has sung me through at least two divorces and several breakups over the past 20 years or so. I applaud Drew and his red-white-and-blue stepchild, Fark, for the choice in locations. Redmon's is a the perfect pick for all the Fark fans out there who haven't quite reached their political saturation point for the decade just yet.

Yup, it's Frid
ay the frickin' Thirteenth, but I'm an optimist. I'm going to smile, rehearse a few Christian Bale and Jaquin Phoenix jokes, put on my best leave-it-to-cleavage top and head out to honor one of the most extraordinary people in Lexington, Drew Curtis. Good on you, Drew, for stepping out of and thinking outside that proverbial box that I hear-tell of and putting your opinions on display for the whole world to either ridicule or embrace. Thank goodness, the politically knowledgeable world-at-large has embraced Fark.com, and held it dear to its collective heart.

However, there is more going on this weekend -- after the Fark party is just a memory of the Ghost of Liberal Loves past -- and I'm here to tell you what I think might be fun for you to do. I won't overwhelm you, though. I'll just give you one event at a time, so you can mull it over before you make a life-or-weekend-altering decision.

The first event th
at comes to mind is to tune and listen to the Rob Plath and Jack Henry America Show on Sunday, February 15, from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. Suzy Devere, will be the guest as she talks about being "a prostitute, a drug addict, a doctor's wife, a lawyer's wife, a mistress to a famous Saudi sheikh, an intellectual, an academic, an athlete, a painter, a drawer, a photographer, and a writer who feels utterly, stunningly alone." She has lived all over the world, but right now, lives next door to you.

Now, I have to tell you, Suzy is not one to be dismissed. You must listen to her and do all she says...or else...or else, well, you'll just be another person who missed out on some of the most oblique and alarmingly intellectual entertainment available. Oh yeah, and Suzy has close friends in the Bluegrass area, something she politely omitted from her resume, apparently. Thus she has submitted the engraved-at-Walmart invitation to listen in here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/robjack-america/2009/02/15/Rob-Jack-America-Say-Hello-to-Suzy-Devere
Suzy says, at 3:00 p.m., you need to "turn your computers on to the Blogtalk Radio and 1) create an account (it's free), so you can text chat while the show is on. 2) Stream the show live, and call in and ask me a question. I'm hoping it will be like back in the 8th grade lunchroom with the misfits talking smack, if all goes as planned. Don't be a loser. Show up. To read some of my poems and short stories,google me (gently) or go here:
http://epicrites.ning.com/profile/SuzyDevere "


I hope you'll listen to Suzy. I discovered her in a rather serendipitous way through researching and writing about Pet Milk for Ace Weekly and of course, The Source of all Connections, Facebook. I can guarantee you that Suzy Devere will -- in a very adult and only for mature audiences way -- differentiate your so-so days from your so-so nights. And God love her for that! Tune in, and love her, whether you like it or not.

peace, tho,

Kimmy




No comments: