is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

She's Fabulous and Funny!


by Kim Thomas

Those who foller Holler (Holler Poets Series) will want to meander on down to Gratz tonight to hear the very irreverent and even more entertaining Donna Ison (left) as she hosts "5 Books to Read about Love" at the Carnegie Center. The event begins at 5:00 and continues until 7:30 p.m.

After her side-splitting reading at Holler 9 (Feb 4 at Al’s Bar), I knew that Donna was a literal diamond in the rough, and so I spoke with her about Holler and how she came to be part of that wonderful group of literary artists. With an energy that would power most of the eastern grid of the United States, Ison (a familiar face in local theatre) told me that she actually makes a living as a playwright. “As far as Holler, I have only read three times and written three poems in my life, but am anxious to
explore the genre more. Primarily I develop shows for museums. I'm the resident playwright for the Kentucky Historical Society and write for The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, Minnetrista Museum, The Callahan Museum, The Institute of Texan Cultures...whoever hires me.”Ison wants everyone to know about her most recent projects. “My new thing is immersion theatre. I received an Artist Enrichment Grant from the Kentucky Foundation for Women to study that. I also got an Art Meets Activism Grant to develop a show on Body-Image with all original monologues from KY women. We're doing a workshop at the Carnegie on April 4 and a show on May 28. I'm suddenly exhausted just thinking about all of it.”Donna will be a guest on WRFL tomorrow (Friday the 13th, bless her heart) from 2-3 on a show called Accents.

Donna’s book The Miracle of Myrtle: Saint Gone Wild can be linked through her website www.donnaison.com or straight at Barnes and Noble.com and Amazon.com. Donna is currently communicating with Morris Bookstore tomorrow about carrying it as well.
Visit: The Only Authorized Donna Ison Website- Accept No Imitations
Source: http://www.donnaison.com/
The official website of author and playwright, Donna Ison and the homepage
Hope to see you all there!

peace,
Kimmy

No comments: