is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Annalise Finch Scouts Out the Stage In To Kill A Mockingbird

This is the second in a continuing series of posts about
AthensWest's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, which opens November 20
at the DAC.



Annalise Finch plays the role of Scout in the upcoming production of Harper Lee's play, To Kill A Mockingbird. She is in the 7th grade at a Louisville school, but travels to Lexington for rehearsal. She shares the role with Emily Reed, who will also have something to say about all of this, to be posted soon.

Finch tells me, "My mom told me about this role and signed me up for an audition, thinking that if I got an audition it would be great experience. I had heard about the book because my brothers read it in high school and Mom explained the story to me. Of course, I loved her last name!" she jokes.

"My last few roles were at Christian Academy of Louisville, where I was a school girl in Anne of Green Gables and Amaryllis in Music Man; both were our high school Spring productions.

As a young girl, she doesn't have a catalogue of credits to list, but her onstage presence will draw many into the famous story. "My current role of Scout really doesn't compare to any roles I have played in the past. I'm very grateful to have been given this opportunity. The director, the cast, and managers have taught me so much."

She describes her role as one that develops over the course of the play. "I think the story follows Scout as she learns more about the people around her and what makes them act the way they do. Especially Atticus!" As a challenge to her acting skills, she finds Scout to be a bit more brave than herself. She explains, "It has been hard sometimes to understand or react in some scenes like Scout would. She would want to fight somebody for criticizing Atticus, but I would cry." However, she has totally absorbed and adores the message of Lee's emotionally charged masterpiece about courage in the face of bigotry.

Finch expresses how excited she is for this weekend, when the play opens at the Downtown Arts Center. "This has been so much fun -- everyone has been great to work with, and I think we are all looking forward to opening night -- I love this story! It reminds us not to judge from what we see on the outside of a person, but to try and understand and love what's on the inside. God does!"




Indeed, Annalise, indeed.
See y'all at the show!

No comments: