is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

London Calling! Jenny Christian Returns to Lexington to Direct "The Guys"

The last time I saw Jenny Christian was before she left for England last year to study theatre.  

Since Jenny is always doing something interesting, and she and I love the same political people, I followed her activity on social media like any other good stalker-esque friend would do. (Knowing folks in theatre, I do that a lot, they travel a lot). It's fun, and nobody gets hurt ... unless it's on stage. (Someone always gets hurt on stage, btw. lol)
Jenny and sister Lindsey
So just where has Jenny been, and why is she back? She tells me, "I have been living in London, England since last September and am pursuing my MFA in Directing for Theatre at East 15 Acting School. The school is on the outskirts of London in Loughton, Essex. It is a two year course and I'm between my first and second year. I am back because I wanted to spend time in Lexington while I had a break from my studies. The Guys is a play that I have wanted to direct for long time and I figured that I could use my time in Lexington to make it happen."
Christian says, "This story is all about navigating the landscape of grief and finding support, compassion and healing through interpersonal dialogue. Set in the weeks following September 11, 2001 - we meet Joan, an editor, and Nick, a FDNY captain, as they meet for the first time and discuss the guys Nick lost in the events of that day."
"I first read this play about 11 years ago, finding it on a shelf in a Barnes & Noble where I sat on the floor and pretty much read the entire play. I was instantly in love with the honesty and simplicity of the story unfolding before me." She adds, "I am very proud and humbled to be producing and directing The Guys and hope that folks will take a little time out of their week to share this experience with us."

Jenny and her beau, Jeff Wheeler
The venue for The Guys is a place called Centered. What is Centered? Jenny's face lights up as she tells what sort of place it is. " Centered is an awesome new addition to the Lexington scene. Located at 309 North Ashland and owned and operated by Lauren Higdon. Centered offers a myriad of classes, therapies and workshops including but not limited to drumming, meditation, martial arts, dancing, birthing classes, hula hooping, yoga, life coaching, massage, acupuncture, counseling, aromatherapy and more."
When she was looking for a venue, she wanted to find a non-traditional theatre space where there wouldn't be much separation between the audience and the actors. "The story we're telling is very intimate and personal and I wanted to reflect and enhance that with the space where the story is told. My friend, and assistant for The Guys, Felicia Fallon took me to Centered, and I immediately felt like this was the right place to produce The Guys. After meeting with Lauren and hearing Centered's mission statement - "Inspiring, educating and supporting our world through the moving, visual and healing arts" - I knew it was the perfect match." Here's the link to their site http://www.centerforhealingcommunity.com/

*******************************

Lonesome Girl Productions 

presents

 THE GUYS!


Directed by Jenny Christian


Starring Peggy Stamps & Russell Mendez

Tuesday, September 10 - Friday, September 13 @ 8:30 
    • a portion of the OPENING NIGHT Box Office will be donated to the Lexington Fire Department and those directly affected by the events of September 11, 2001.
Saturday, September 14 @ 4:00 with a Talk Back to follow
    • any ticket holder from the week is invited to the talk back following Saturday's matinee.
The lovely and talented Peggy Stamps
  • For every ticket purchased online, inticketing will plant a tree.

The Story:
Less than two weeks after the September 11th attacks, New Yorkers are still in shock. One of them, an editor named Joan, receives an unexpected phone call on behalf of Nick, a fire captain who has lost most of his men in the attack. He's looking for a writer to help him with the eulogies he must present at their memorial services. Nick and Joan spend a long afternoon together, recalling the fallen men through recounting their virtues and their foibles, and fashioning the stories into memorials of words. In the process, Nick and Joan discover the possibilities of friendship in each other and their shared love for the unconquerable spirit of the city. As they make their way through the emotional landscape of grief, they draw on humor, tango, the appreciation of craft in all its forms—and the enduring bonds of common humanity. THE GUYS is based on a true story.

***************************************************************
See you at the show!
peace,
Kimmy

No comments: