is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Friday, May 3, 2013

Revolutionary to Be Ridden by Borel in Kentucky Derby


Kimmy with Calvin Borel - pic taken by Paula Schrecker
REVOLUTIONARY at this moment, Friday, 
Oaks Day is at 8 to 1.  

He will start from post position #3, with Derby winning jockey Calvin Borel aboard.  

Lisa Osland and a Mint Julep - two great companions
First, however, we must talk about the weather.  Not necessarily in a polite way, either...with WLEX's weatherman Bill Meck about to have a stormgasm over tomorrow's wet spectacle, I see a partially sunny day with a heavy chance of juleps.  Since it may be another muddy track for the first Saturday in May, Calvin Borel will be in his element. Mud.  

Mud.  I will never forget the year Borel won aboard MINE THAT BIRD (another longshot lol) -- I will never forget because I was standing just inside the rail and felt the mud hit in tiny, Jackson Pollack-like drops of victory all over the photogs inside the rail -- the Rail upon which he rode that horse magnificently to win the epic iconic random awesome and amazing Roses.  (I just wanted to use all the over-used words in one sentence, thanks.  I'll cross that off my bucket list now. heh)  In fact, I still have the mud splattered hat I wore that day. (I kept the mud, why not?  Don't judge me.  :)

 
Amy Owens

Back to tomorrow's Derby contenderREVOLUTIONARY's claim to fame is having won this year’s Louisiana Derby and the Withers.  Oh, and he is undefeated coming into Saturday’s race!   Bred by Will Farish, a local and beloved horseman, he is being trained by Todd Pletcher (who has another horse in the race maybe more than one other, I have so much research to do...ermagerd) and races for Winstar Farms.  So all the players are top-notch, along with his pedigree.


I help this guy take the opening gate photos!  He's a sweetie ;-)
Why do I like REVOLUTIONARY? The dark bay colt's damsire is A.P. INDY, he has earned enough winnings to be in 4th place as far as today's Churchill oddsmakers, and if you give Calvin Borel a muddy track and place his starting position just two horses away from the rail, it's the perfect revolutionary storm. 


Click here for more KimmyVille Kentucky Derby blogs from Mint Juleps Past:

http://kimmyville.blogspot.com/search?q=derby 

No comments: