is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

ORB pulls ahead in the Race for the Run for the Roses


The Kentucky Derby is a month away. 

You read that correctly -- just a MONTH before the eyes of the world return to Kentucky!  

More importantly, before you figure out where you're going to score enough good mint for your julep, you might want to check and see who has the best bourbon prices...oh and check to see if your favorite horse is one of my favorites as well. 

 I confess, I am not an expert, I make no claims of being even decent in handicapping, but I did write for The Thoroughbred Record for several years in their Foreign Research Department.  I also booked mares at Gainesway Farm for the 1987 breeding season (one was enough :)  







So I know just enough about the ponies to make bad bets, if I use the 'facts,' i.e.,  racing forms and the intricate information contained therein.  No, I have found when I do win at the track it's really because I've chosen a horse without any rhyme or reason -- for example, I bet on a horse because of the color of its silks, or the number assigned to it, or its name.   I don't go for all that fancy handicapping, it's too much like math.  I know I'm not going to win every time, but darn it, I want to at least try a 99 to 1 longshot. At $2 to win, of course :)

The first contender I want to discuss is ORB, who is Kentucky Derby-bound, assuming the big bay son of Malibu Moon (out of Macoumba, a Mr. Prospector mare) stays healthy through Derby Day. 

ORB won $600,000 in his most recent race to bring his total earnings to $921,050 for breeders Stuart Janney III and Phipps Stable.  He has won four in a row overall after breaking his maiden at Aqueduct in his fourth start.
 
So why would I bet on ORB?  Firstly, I love the name ORB, it's short, sweet, and to the point.  I also love that this horse has SECRETARIAT in his pedigree, as well as SEATTLE SLEW, two classic reasons to look for the red and white silks on Derby Day!

No comments: