From our own Jim Embry, here's how we can help in his latest quest for edible and renewable sustenance for all -- the Good Food Movement:
in Turin, Italy, Oct. 25-29, 2012. The USA is divided into 20 geographic regions and I am one of six delegates chosen to represent Region 7( KY, TN, AL, LA, MS). In total, more than 600 people applied to be part of the delegation, but only 200 were chosen nationwide. So I am absolutely thrilled and humbled to be part of this delegation. Please visit the following hyperlinks for information on the other Terra Madre and Salone del Gusto and International Congress delegates and offer them your support.
As you may know Slow Food is an international organization with a network of 100,000 members in 153 countries – grouped in 1,300 local chapters called convivia – that develops activities, projects and events at a local, regional and global level operating under the slogan "good, clean and fair." Our own Kentucky Proud, farmers markets, farm to school programs, food justice and security for consumers and production workers, food sovereignty, community and school gardening efforts, fair trade initiatives, sustainable farming methods, and eating delicious food(!) are all examples of what we mean by good...clean...and fair and are very much in alignment with the Slow Food movement.
Terra Madre/Salone is held every two years while the International Congress is held every 5 years. This is the Sixth Slow Food International Congress , and as voting members of the congress, we will be voting on a policy document called the Central Role of Food. This document focuses on the right to food - food sovereignty - and all the components of ensuring that everyone has the right to clean water, air, fertile soil, biodiversity, human health, pleasure associated with food, food knowledge, indigenous issues and social relations. I encourage you to read this document and send me your thoughts so that I can share your ideas at the Congress
As a USA delegate I want to share information on the Slow Food movement and our International Congress/Terra Madre experience in Italy with as many people in Kentucky and the USA as possible. With this purpose in mind, I seek your support and ideas in these ways:
- Speaking engagements: Please invite me to speak (or set up a photo exhibit) at schools, universities, faith congregations, community groups, restaurants, civic clubs, conferences, a house party and other venues before I go(10/20) to Italy, or after I return (11/2).
- Attend a presentation: I have already scheduled a few presentations that will describe in words, video and photos the Terra Madre experience:
October 6, 11:30am-1:30pm Brunch and Fundraiser for Jim Embry at Natasha's Bistro & Bar.
Join me for “catch of the day” as Gene from Natasha's picks up
local produce from the Lexington Farmer's Market in the morning
and prepares Saturday brunch. We will have music, poetry and a
presentation on Terra Madre to accompany a delicious meal. Please
- Monday October 8, 7-9pm Dinner and Presentation at Good Foods Market and Cafe. Come join me for a delicious meal from our Good Foods kitchen, hear about and watch a short video on Terra Madre. Please RSVP.
3) Financial contribution: consider supporting my trip to Italy with a financial contribution which can be sent by check to: Sustainable Communities Network, PO Box 4422, Lexington KY 40544 or you can donate on line at our Sustainlex donate page. No amount is too small or too large and will be very much appreciated! And reach out to and support the other delegates in your region!
4) Be Creative: and come up with other ways that you can contribute to this experience of bringing Terra Madre, the International Slow Food Congress and the international sustainable food movement home to Lexington, Kentucky and the USA! Here are examples of loving support I have received from friends regarding my trip to Terra Madre:
dear friend Renee Shaw interviewed me on her show KET
Connections with Jim Embry
Food International posted my delegate
- this Urban Farm magazine Terra Madre video interview is delightful
- my longtime kindred spirit, Elaine Adams invited me to speak at the Somerset Community College International Festival
In addition to Terra Madre check out the other grand projects of Slow Food such as:
Thanks for taking time to read this long message and for all the things you do to make our beautiful state of Kentucky and the USA a place where the common health of our people, environment and economy leads to a beloved common-wealth!
Much love and hugs to all
“What a blessing and honor it is for me to be selected to represent Kentucky and the USA at this important international convocation of world food communities who proclaim that another world with a sustainable food system that works for all is possible and necessary. As a delegate to the Congress I am very excited about the opportunity to help shape and decide the future direction of Slow Food’s global work that will continue to provide concrete and appropriately scaled solutions for some of our most vexing problems. Slow Food's Congress, Terra Madre and Salone represent the corner stones of a 21st century food Renaissance and I am thrilled to help paint the picture,” said Jim Embry, 2012 Slow Food USA delegate.
Sustainable Communities Network, http://sustainlex.org/
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." ~Arundhati Roy
"Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable ... It comes only through the tireless efforts and passionate concern of dedicated individuals ... This is no time for apathy nor complacency. This is a time for vigorous and positive action."~— Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive. ~Albert Einstein
"We didn't inherit the earth from our parents. We're borrowing it from our children." Chief Seattle (1788-1866) Suquamish/Duwamish Chief
In modesty and humility, be like the Earth!
In tolerance for others, be like the sea!
In generosity and helping others, be like a gentle breeze!
In compassion for others, and especially for yourself,
Be like the Sun!