is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day by Day

The sun shines bright on our Kentucky home today, does it not?  We have all sorts of stuff to do -- concerts (3pm UK Jazz, today at Singletary, free) going on, plays to see (A Steady Rain, Osage County Breathing Corpses, Addams Family, and many more) auditions (see BCTC's Tim X. Davis) and Keeneland!  Keeneland, is 75 years old this weekend! I hope you either got to watch the WLEX production of the historic celebration, if mayhap if you missed it, I'm sure it's available online somewhere.   Corn mazes, fall festivals, or just a trip to Natural Bridge (btw, stop at the souvenir shops with the snakes and tarantulas...it's totally worth it for the $3.  The bear carvings are ridiculously appealing...and pizza at Miguel's. Yummers.  I did just about all of that this past week, honestly.  It was an extraordinary week, and I lived to tell about it. Heh). 
Chancel Choir retreat


Dea Riley
Life is good -- and for me, my Super Bowl is about to happen, and that is the Presidential Election.  I find politics fascinating, so this is my World Series, what ev -- it is when I will be delighted to be surprised, I will support those who I know are doing the right thing, and yes, lambchops, I still have hope that America does what is right. I just believe that no matter who wins, in the end it is "we the people," and it will work out, but it's fun to see all the strategy and analysis, it's just too much fun and historic, not to watch and enjoy. I'm loving the Kentucky gubernatorial race as a warm up to next year, though, and thought that all the candidates did well in the debate this past week, but still am hopeful that Gatewood Galbraith and Dea Riley will prevail.  I am a coal miner's daughter's daughter, and I have a healthy love/hate relationship with coal, so I am entirely opposed to mountaintop coal removal.  Gatewood and Dea took an early stance against this mining process that has decapitated an area the size of the state of Delaware and choked off more than 800 streams.  See the movie Coal Country if you need more information.  I'll hush about all that now.


So why am I yammering on and on about all that?  I haven't been blogging a lot lately, been tied up with stuff that ought not keep me from debriefing myself for the week.  Thanks for reading, but I will want to, since it is Sunday, share my thoughts about worship today and what it meant to me.  As always, music is what brings me to the state of worship, and we start with a hymn of praise, today's was When Morning Gilds the Skies, and our Minister of Discipleship, Stephanie McCormick's sermon was Echoes of Hope.   Chancel choir sang a hopeful Allen Pote piece, during the offertory, but the song that stays in my mind is the song played on the organ during the Lord's Supper, and it was Day by Day, from Godspell -- a very sweet and reflective song for our communion meditation.  Then the choir sang this song:  


Break Forth into Song (Allen Pote)
Psalm 98: "Make a joyful noise all the earth. Break into song, break into joyous singing and praise. Sing praise unto God with sound of melody. with trumpet and horn make a joyful noise. Let the sea roar and all that fills it. Let the world rejoice, and all that is therein. Let the floods lift up, their voice and clap their hands. Let the hills together sing for joy. For God will come to judge the world, judging with righteousness, judging the people with equity."  


Sometimes, there's nothing better than a song to sing, ya know?


Here is the prayer we shared, too.


Jesus, Son of God,
let your love shine through our eyes,
your Spirit inspire our words,
your wisdom fill our minds,
your mercy control our hands,
your will capture our hearts,
your joy pervade our being;
until we are changed into your likeness
from glory to glory. 
Amen.


I'm having a good Sunday, and I hope your Sunday is meaningful, too.  Get out and jump into a pile of leaves or something, willya?   I'm heading to Cheapside for coffee and brunch like stuff.  
peace,
Kimmy





No comments: