is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Give up?

Hang in there
As Lent begins, I'm trying to find ways to not give up certain issues and elements of my life.  I am clinging to the good as much as I am seeking to take-away certain things.  The Lenten process, although it seems meaningless to some, difficult for others, is not as legalistic as it often sounds.  It is a period of time to "go to the Garden," as Jesus did.  It's okay to withdraw, to be quiet, to be more reflective of my actions and the way they affect others.  It's okay to not give up.

I say that to say this:  I will, as always during Lent, forego pork (and its by-products), not because pork presents a certain danger to my health, but because I do so love bacon, pepperoni, and barbecue...oh my!  There is so much of it present in my life that the mere sighting of a Slim-Jim or can of vienna sausages often gives me reason to pause and reflect, rethink my actions.  This moment by moment self denial helps to serve as a reminder of what God wants from me. 


So, just what does God want from me?  In the book of Micah, there is a Scripture that tells me that God does not require ten thousand rivers of oil or my firstborn for my transgressions -- the fruit of my body for the sins of my soul -- that all He requires is for me to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with my God.  Sounds easy enough, but sometimes I need a reminder, a moment-to-moment jostle to my conscience, and have found that by taking the pork out of my diet, I do get the nudge I need to pause and take time to be kind to others, and to do everything with a sense of humility.

Accordingly, when there's a slice of pepperoni pizza or even an itty bitty bit of bacon tempting me at any given point in the next 39 days, my Lenten promise will help channel the Gentle Voice inside me that says, "far above the noise of Life, there's a Voice that is gently calling, you are my beloved child, come to Me, I will give you rest . . . ."

And my dear Lambchops, I want and need rest.  Don't you?

peace,
Kimmy

No comments: