is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Vote for Marty Clifford For First District

The words below are from Marty Clifford, who works hard to do the right thing...I have seen in him action with the North Limestone Neighborhood Association.  He communicates with citizens, law enforcement, and city officials to address concerns.


Please vote for Marty tomorrow for City Council if you live in the First District.


**********************


Dear Friends and Neighbors of the 1st District,

I am writing you seeking your support and vote on November 2nd. I am running for 1st District council. Below are my pledges to you. I have pasted below a longer document (below the line) that I hope you will read. It articulates my candidacy. Please share this message with your friends and neighbors.
 
It is going to be a tight election. Please get out and vote for me and tell your friends to VOTE Marty Clifford for 1st District council.

Thanks you! I have learned so much and have met so many wonderful people on this campaign. We live in a truly great area!  

Marty Clifford
Candidate for 1st District council

MY PLEDGE
I will continue to work to recognize the needs of one Lexington’s oldest and most diverse area of town.
I use the two Small Area Plans to form my legislative agenda.
I will implement a Community Development Corporation (CDC) to help address the 1st District’s concerns. A CDC will make the 1st District economic and infrastructure development faster, more comprehensively, and in a more sustainable manner.
I will work with the community and the police to make 1st District one of the safest communities in Lexington.
I will always be accessible to our community and listen to all of the community’s voices.
I will work full time to serve all the 1st District’s needs and never waver in my dedication.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For your Consideration:
Prior to fixing to up historic property on North Limestone, I worked in real estate finance for over 20 years. During this time I helped over a 1000 families get housing. My business background gives me a broad and deep understanding of finance, administration, management, government programs, and budgeting.
I have been a community volunteer and leader for last 10 years. During the past decade I have done many things to improve the 1st District and I’m excited to do more. I’m excited to meet and work with all of you, understand your concerns, and help develop proper solutions for these concerns. I’m also excited to celebrate with you all the wonderful assets that make up the 1st District.
 
My promise is full time representation and safer communities. Full time representation means that I’m the only candidate able to dedicate all my time and energy to council work. There is so much that needs to be done, and can only be accomplished with complete commitment.

I have been endorsed by the Fraternal Order of Police, the Herald Leader spoke very highly of me and my works, I am a veteran and was a awarded the medal of Accommodation.

The North side is my home, and has been for 12 years, I have no plans to move. I want continue to serve on council for many years to come.  We need a representative on council that knows, understands, and has been active in the community.  A representative that can step in and respond to our unique needs as an older,neglected, and diverse part of Lexington. We need a community driven representative that will stay in office to be the most effective. I am this representative and ask for your vote.

For more info go to: www.Martyclifford.com, or just come talk with me.  

FULL TIME
Council person Andrea James quit her job to work her council position full time, and able to get a lot done in the 1st District as a result. I already commit many hours a week in the 1st District as a community volunteer. When elected I will treat this position as a full time responsibility and priority, with a 40 hour a week commitment. I am the only candidate willing and able to contribute all of his time and effort serving your needs. Because the 1st District has full time needs, I will give the the 1st District full time dedication. There is just too much to be done on the North side for it to be a part time position, nowhere in the charter is this position called a part time position. When you go to vote, ask yourself if you want a part time representative or a full time representative. I will be a full time representative. The more time and energy you have to devote to a project the more you can accomplish.

LET'S MOVE FORWARD NOT BACKWARDS
I will continue to build upon the foundation laid by Andrea James and Sarah Brown and use similar tools to be effective and transformative-- such as community engagement, active listening, community visioning, gaining buy in and trust from community state holders, and sustaining partnerships. I want to see the great work Andrea James and Sarah Brown started in our district be carried through and more. I was invited by Andrea and Sarah, to work with them, after elections to better learn the process and be more informed on the issues and initiatives before my official day in office begins in January. I will be more effective on the 1st official day in office because I will have a 2 month head start.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

I worked 20 years in real estate finance, and worked hard to place over 1,000 families in their homes. I am very familiar with loan programs like; VA, FHA, KY Housing, Reach and other low income and 1st time home buyer programs. I have years of experience in finance, administration, management, and budgeting.  

For the past 12 years I have been improving historic property on N. Limestone and its side streets. I have or am in the process of fixing up 13 properties. These properties have over 30 affordable housing units, and 5 commercial spaces. Many of my tenants have gone on to buy and fix up property in the area. 4 of the 5 commercial spaces are leased to businesses that serve the District. I have learned the value of historic properties, and understand the resources that are currently in place to save them. I support historic preservation not only in philosophy, legislation, but most importantly in practice. Historic preservation is one of the major tenants of my platform. I pledge to get rid of demolition by neglect.

COMMUNITY WORK AND LEADERSHIP


I have been serving the 1st District as a volunteer for over 10 years. I have always fought and been an advocate for 1st District’s success, and helped voice its concerns to LFUCG. The following improvement projects show my work that I have done in the 1st District as a volunteer:


  • In 2002, I  founded and currently serve as president of the N. Limestone Neighborhood Association.
  • Got the C.L.E.A.R. unit to start operating in the 1st District to clean up the prostitution, drugs, and robberies.
  • Coordinated the Central Sector Neighborhood Coalition 2004, served in a leadership role on the sterling committees to help develop the Central Sector and East End Small Area Plans. These plans were finalized and approve by City 2009. These plans also serve as my blueprint for my legislative and budgetary agenda.
  • Lead the way in saving Arlington Elementary. Which has now received a $12 million dollar renovation.
  • Graduated from the Lexington’s Citizen Police Academy (class of 2003)
  • 2009 with partnered with MLKNA, Parks and Rec., and the Lyons Club to Built Stage One in Duncan Park. We sponsored 4 free community concerts. A tool to bring community together through music and family friendly entertainment.
  • Developed  2 community gardens, one on there 3 vacant lots in 900 block of N. Limestone, and the other on the 700 block of North Limestone.
  • Served as a head facilitator in the Mayor’s 2040 program.
  • 2008, 2009, 2010 worked with LexLinc and other non profits to organize the Back to School Rally at Duncan Park, this rally distributes backpacks and school supply.
  • In partnership with the MLKNA got a $10,000 grant through LexArts to get a mural painted on the side of Al’s Bar representing our community’ music culture and history.
  • Hosted the Forums for the last Mayor and Council elections where our community concerns were brought to their attention, and got pledges from all candidates to support Lexington’s 1st District and it’s efforts to improve community.
  • Worked with at large council person Chuck Ellinger to get $8000 to plant 32 trees on N. Limestone.
  • Worked with Transy and other non-profits on the Hugh O’ Brian Youth Leadership murals.
  • Worked with Transy to facilitate the Community Engagement Through the Arts class, which is now in its 4th year, and has been instrumental in connecting Transy to the community, and vice versa.
  • With the NLNA have been organized in many community programs like; storm debris clean up, the great American clean up, and alley clean up.

Common themes throughout each of these projects are:

They all have improved the 1st District both in the short and long term.
They all exemplify my ability to lead, listen, and respond.
They show my ability to form private and public partnerships to get the right people in the right place to make change happen.
They show my commitment and sacrifice for the common good of Lexington.
They all show my values and priorities.
They all point to me being able to serve at a high level as our council representative.

PLEDGE

  • I will continue to work to recognize the needs of one Lexington’s oldest and most diverse area of town.
  • I use the two Small Area Plans to form my legislative agenda.
  • I will implement a Community Development Corporation (CDC) to help address the 1st District’s concerns. A CDC will make 1st District economic and infrastructure development faster, more comprehensively, and in a more sustainable manner.
  • I will work with the community and the police to make 1st District one of the safest communities in Lexington.
  • I will always be accessible to our community and listen to all of the community’s voices.
  • I will work full time to serve all the 1st District’s needs and never wavier in my dedication.

Please give me your support and vote on November 2,

Marty Clifford 
Candidate for 1st District Council




******************************************************
Please - just vote.  Even if you don't agree with me, just go vote, despite the weather and despite what you hear on the news...just vote!  
pray for peace, 
Kimmy

No comments: