is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Jungle Fun Room Director Seeks Others to Audition Tomorrow

Studio Players Director Bob Singleton is already hard at work for the Fall Season.  

He is directing Brian Hampton's new hilarious work, The Jungle Fun Room, (new to our area, anyway).  The play is the winner of the Audience Favorite Award at the Penobscot Theatre’s Northern Writes New Play Festival and had its world premiere in last summer’s New York International Fringe Festival at the Actors’ Playhouse.


Singleton held some auditions today at 6pm, but if you are at all interested, you are welcome to show up tomorrow at 6:30, at the Carriage House.  "It's cold reading from the script, by the way, not prepared monologues," and Bob adds, I'm looking for 
3 females (late 20s to 30s), and 
2 males (one early 20s, one late 20s-30s). 

The characters in the show are actors who work children's parties for the New York City Zoo. But it's not exactly your typical 'behind the scenes' look at actors/theatre. Children's parties are something most of us can relate to in some way or another, and as Brian pointed out, the fact that the characters are all dealing with dreams, careers, figuring out what you really want to do and how to do it....all makes for a very universal theme, around a familiar setting. It's a very funny play, and something I think will be a joy to work on as well as to see."


Hampton is tickled that Singleton will be directing and Singleton is likewise, delighted that he will be working on a Hampton production.  Bob explains that he met Brian through Allie Darden, his beautiful bride -- Allie appeared in Checking In both at AGL, New York, and will star in the movie by the same name.  "I and was able to spend time with him last summer in New York.  He's a talented, tireless, passionate and thoughtful person, and I'm thrilled to be able to work with him on this production."

Singleton adds, "I've never directed a play while also knowing the playwright, and I'm definitely going to be in discussion with Brian during this process. His insights and experience will be valuable, and the chance to bring something to life that is so close to him is both an honor and a thrill."

"We're excited to be opening Studio's season with Jungle Fun Room, and hopefully we'll be able to work out a talk-back with Brian, either before or after one of the productions."

So if you are just winding up a play, have some free time on your hands, or simply want to try out and see if you're just the right girl or guy for the part, then just let me say, 'something tells me it's all happening at the zoo. I do believe it...I do believe it's true ;-) 

Get thee to the Bell House - I can think of at least a dozen great actors reading this tonight who otter go give it a whirl.

love and smiles,
Kimmy

Oh oh OH! 
P.S. - I would ask all my lambchops to please pray for me, as my life is spinning like a  whirling dervish.  I need some calm and cool waters to soothe my soul.  Just think about me in a nice way, envision me happy and financially able to survive. I sure would appreciate it if you would.  peace, y'all


No comments: