is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wonderful Tonight

My sister's husband, John Anton Nosow, died eight years ago today. He was young. He was handsome. He was hilarious. He was Johnny.  Johnny was not a fabulous singer, but he sang anyway.  He was, however, a great guitar player -- and I'll never forget when he played  Wonderful Tonight as the processional for one of my better weddings on his Les Paul.

Johnny even wrote a few songs with our good buddy Tom Eisenhauer, who grew up with Johnny, played little league baseball with him, and jammed with him regularly over the years.  Tom, Becky White and I sang at his memorial service -- I'll Fly Away, and Becky kicked ass on Simple Man...we even piped in Freebird, as that was one of his favorites...    

We miss Johnny, and even though it has been 8 years, we have not forgotten him. How could you forget someone like that, someone who, despite all his failings, always tried to do the right thing?     

However, like me, like you, Johnny was not without sin.  He lived a life that ended much much too soon, and even though he could have prevented his own early demise, he had a good heart, he was kind to animals, and to kids, and I believe he is in Heaven with God.  So here's a great poem someone gave me just last night, that pretty much sums up how I feel about life and death and dying.  We are all redeemed and forgiven children, after all...in fact, if John was here right now, I'd let him smoke my last cigarette...coz he would want it ;-) 

Here is the poem, it's appropriately titled:

Best Poem In the  World

I was shocked, confused and bewildered
As I entered Heaven's door;
Not by the beauty of it all,
Nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven,
Who made me sputter and gasp;
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
Who swipes my lunch money twice;
Next to him was my old neighbor,
Who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
Was rotting away in hell; 
Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, "What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake."

"And why is everyone so quiet,
So somber - give me a clue!"
"Hush, child," He said, "they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you."
 
Judge not!

No comments: