is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How Will I Remember You?


Those who know me know that Rosemary Clooney is my favorite singer, my favorite Kentucky star (she was the First American Idol), and even though my campaign to have Kentucky highway named after her has hit a speed bump -- we have 170+ signatures on the petition but need a sponsor for the bill -- I shall always strive to ensure the recognition of Rosemary Clooney as one of Kentucky's great citizens as well as one of the world's brightest and most beautiful stars. 


I'd grown up in Northern Kentucky and had followed her career, but a listen to public radio on a Saturday afternoon back in the early 1990s is what changed my listening ear.  I'd never really paid much attention to the lyrics of songs like Don't Fence Me In up to that point, but when I heard her perform Cole Porter's classic with Marian McPartland on NPR's Piano Jazz, well, I was hooked beyond belief on the vocal stylings of Ms. Rosemary Clooney from thereon out. 

When she passed away eight years ago today, I was so sad, I immediately started getting phone calls and emails from my friends who knew how I loved her music so.  It was a sad, sad day...but I still listen to her music and am mesmerized by her voice.
  
I only hope that when the Good Lord should bless me and keep me in the palm of His hand once I leave this life on earth, that Rosemary will be singing...wonder if she'll be taking requests?  Oh, Danny Boy ...

No comments: