is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Few Good Men's Hayley Williams: More Than Just a Pretty Face

When Hayley Williams makes her entrance  in tonight's opening performance of A FEW GOOD MEN, she will return to a familiar stage at the Downtown Arts Center.  

You may remember seeing Williams there in Silas House's LONG TIME TRAVELLING, where she played one of five characters, all members of one family struggling with the shifting sands of emotion that come as the grief process takes place.  

AGL's LONG TIME TRAVELLING debuted under the direction of Rick St. Peter last Spring and was heralded as one of the most popular theatrical productions of the year.  

Hayley is well known in local theatre circles as one who is more than capable of pulling her own weight no matter what the role and her preparedness is always apparent, so it's no surprise her participation is in much demand. This time she's taking on a well-known character made memorable by a popular celebrity, but she's more than ready and has impressed her fellow cast members with her ability to shine in the midst of other great performers.
 

"I am playing Lt. Commander JoAnne Galloway (for anyone familiar with the movie it is the Demi Moore role), the Navy JAG lawyer who is passionate about the law but needs a lot of help when it comes to trial work! I wanted to audition for this role because it is so much different than the roles I normally play. JoAnne is a strong, no nonsense woman in a world that is primarily men. It is so much fun to stand up to these big guys and make them listen. She commands respect. It is nice to play someone who uses her brain rather than her looks to get what she wants." 
 

Williams explains that Galloway's redeeming qualities are simple: "she has a real passion for the law and pours her whole heart and soul into each trial she gets involved with. I know that being so emotionally involved in her cases may not make when the world’s best lawyer, but her belief in her client’s innocence is refreshing. I believe that JoAnne really believes that people are mostly good. She refuses to take the easy way out and demands to be as thorough as possible much to her colleague’s chagrin!"


As is the case with all her fellow players in Bluegrass Community & Technical College's A FEW GOOD MEN, Hayley has embraced all the facets of her character. "There really is not much I dislike about her. I think that maybe at times she tends to be so emotional about her cases that she forgets to look before she leaps...and maybe she has a little too much confidence at times -- people have said this about me in my personal life too -- haha !" she laughs.

Williams believes that the message of Aaron Sorkin's classic work is also very basic. "I feel like the overall message of this play is to stand up for what you know is right. Even if the odds are against you…if you believe in it, it is worth fighting for."
 

Hayley's most recent work was NO EXIT with Balagula Theatre. "I played the part of Estelle and I must say that I learned so much during that show it has made me a stronger actor all around! As for future plans, I really don’t know, I will just have to see what comes my way! I have been so blessed to work with so many wonderful people in Lexington theatre over the past five years, I can’t wait to continue."

Expressing her gratitude to director/actor/mentor Tim X. Davis, Film and Theatre Coordinator for BCTC, she added, "I am so thankful to Tim X. Davis for giving me the chance to play this role and work with such a great cast! Oh and I must mention that Tim X. Davis did give me my first professional role when he cast me in Daniel Boone the Man and the Legend in 2004 - ha - he always reminds me of that." 


Hayley, don't just break a leg, go kick some ass...I know I'm not the only one who can't  wait to watch you do it!

A FEW GOOD MEN opens TONIGHT at the DAC - be there to watch the talented cast that X has assembled for this next great production from BCTC.

***********************

Co-Directed by Tim X. Davis and Jared K. Sloan

A Few Good Men, written by Aaron Sorkin, tells the story of military lawyers at a court-martial who uncover a high-level conspiracy in the course of defending their clients, United States Marines accused of murder.

CAST LIST-

Cpl. Dawson- Kevin Greer
Pfc. Downey- Jared Sloan
Lt. Sam Weinberg- Charles Bruin
Lt. Daniel Kaffee- Zack Hightower
Lt. Cmdr. Jo Galloway- Hayley Williams
Capt. Whitaker- Katie Jo Cox
Capt. Matthew Markinson- James Brown
Pfc William Santiago- Carlos Pelayo
Lt. Col Nathan Jessup- Tim X Davis
Lt. Jon Kendrick- Jeremy Gillett
Lt. Jack Ross- Ryan Hastings
Cpl. Jeffery Howard- Alex Saunders
Judge Randolph- Vincent Harris
Dr. Walter Stone- Bret Ripley

“Swing” players
(playing multiple MP’s/ Marines/ Lawyers/etc…)
Christina Duong
Angel Beltran
Chris Webb

Stage Manager - Aly Miller
Assistant Stage Managers - Laura Burton, Leah Dick

Ticket prices are $12 for general admission
LexArts Box Office
Downtown Arts Center (DAC)
141 East Main Street
Lexington, KY 40507
859.225.0370

Performance Dates:
June 24th - 26th at 7:30pm

Matinee performance on Sunday, June 27th at 2pm





No comments: