is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You Can Have My Man, but Keep Your Hands off my Ukulele



Over the years, I have known a musician or two. I've understood when they spent endless hours in rehearsal, jamming, writing, singing, and performing. However, one thing that always eluded me was the love affair between guitarists and their Gibsons, Fenders, what have yous.  Yeah, yeah, I loved my clarinet, too, but I took it out of my mouth every once in a while. 




Lately, I'm beginning to see the light, though, all thanks to my friend, Dave Quisenberry.  Quis is my Ralph Kramden, if you will, always piping up with his latest get-rich plan and ready to feed me ideas, knowing full well that 99.9% of them will never come to fruition.  I usually play along, giving him just enough information to contradict and disagree with me, squirreling away the nuggets of truth I want to use as ammunition when I quibble with  him in later discussions. Our banter is pretty amusing, I have to admit (I've known him for almost 30 years) and he's a good sport to take all my seriousness and put a charming and funny spin on it.




So Quis gave me this little red stringed instrument back in late December for my birthday after I'd made a few noises about a long-promised  ukulele.  Seems that Quis wants to start a Uke Society here in the Bluegrass, and of course, he wants me to lead the way.  Well, I was happy to receive the gift, but I never thought I would be able to make any music with the charming piece of stringed wood.




Last night, lambchops, I discovered, to my delight, that I was wrong. I got out some music, sat down and focused for a few hours during which I easily learned a few chords that spell out the first lines of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  I couldn't believe it, and could not quite contain my elation. I called Quis, demanding we go drink Scotch and discuss my newfound 'talent.'  Quis listened patiently as I told him - in my most animated mode - about how wonderful it was to learn something so cool and thanked him profusely for the gift of something new, excited about the possibilities on the horizon.  After all, I learned how to play the piano many, many years ago when I was just a kid.  Yeah, I learned the clarinet and bass clarinet later - and new vistas opened up for me when I did, don't get me wrong - but the ukulele gives me the luxury of playing chords as opposed to notes, has a soft soothing sound to it, and I can strum gently so no one can hear me until the wee hours of the morning (like last night:) 

So I want to share my fervor for this answer to all my musical questions. I want to share it with anyone who'll listen, actually.  


I cannot guarantee that you will learn how to play a song the first time you pick up a guitar or a uke, but I will tell you that if you want to feel young again, if you think you're too jaded or whatever to learn something new, if you want to step outside your proverbial 'comfort zone,' say Aloha to the Ukulele.  It's comforting, welcoming and breezy feel will soothe your soul.  


Aloha, y'all

1 comment:

Ukulele Man said...

Aloha! Another person converted to the world of ukulele love! You can check out this site for some useful tips:

http://www.howtoplayukulele.net/

Or pick up Ralph Shaw's excellent instructional DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A2RVUK/?tag=howtoplatheuke-20

Good luck!