is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Your Money's On the Dresser, 2009; I'm Through With You...



I'm not saying that 2009 was an awful year, but I am ready to move on to dance with the next waiting and willing calendar.  Still, I don't want to give up on the entire 365 days just yet. After all, I do have a few more hours to seek out the joy and be happy over what is in the past and what hopes we have for 2010. 

Since I started my writing year with an Ace Weekly article on Tweet What You Eat, a Twitter application for weight loss (it counts your calories for you), I have to say again how grateful I am to be covering arts and activism as a contributing editor for Ace Weekly.
Writing is its own reward, but it's also an efficient way to keep track of yourself.  I know if I go to aceweekly.com and click on the archives, I can review the year in the Lexington arts/activism scene and view the incredible covers Clif Dickens designed for my stories.  That's a very cool thing to be able to do, to review the year that has gone by that way, but this year, I have the added luxury of scrolling through my blog and getting a grasp on just what I was up to in the past twelve months.

I was already sort of smitten with this blogging idea, but now that the New Year is looking down its barrel at me, I really have a crush on the efficient journal I keep here in Kimmyville.

So, it's time to take a look back.  Everyone else is doing it, after all, so why not me?   This is only the first installment, so if you like what you see, stay tuned!

In January, I wrote the aforementioned Twitter story, which to my knowledge was the first story in any Lexington paper about Twitter.  (I could be wrong...and I'm sure I'll find out if I am :)  My Editrix and I were gaga over tweeting for most of the year as we discovered the many uses of being linked to that sort of social mass media.  Rhonda tweets to see what her friends are up to, uses it for scheduling Ace Weekly book clubs, Front Porch Fridays and keeping everyone posted on what's going on with the newspaper. Me? I use it to follow kindred spirits, like those who love Glee, or follow the Derby, or are liberally progressive.  I also like to find American Idol watchers who are hysterically funny when they snark about the various contestants. I guess I feel like Twitter's the new way to enjoy watching television.

So back to January...I also blogged for my friend Eric Patrick Marr's blog Whiskytown for a few weeks, but after a few quibbles had come and gone, I realized I needed to go out on my own so I could write about more diverse issues, issues important to me.  Thus, the birth of a blogginista (who unabashedly uses smiley faces :) and the start of Kimmyville.

I introduced you to Kimmyville in mid-February, actually, when I talked about why we should follow the Derby horses, and how I promised to bring you the best of the best things to do for the culturally conscious in Lexington. I hope I lived up to my promise, but now that I have re-read that first blog, I am glad I kept a certain amount of integrity throughout.


I was inspired to write the next post after meeting actor and playwright Donna Ison at Holler Poets Series.  Donna was preparing to host "5 Books To Read About Love" at the Carnegie Center.  This wonderful ladybug has an "energy that would power most of the eastern grid of the United States."  I believed that about her then, and today I am even more convinced about Donna's contribution not only as a Kentucky writer, but in her role as activist for numerous women's causes.

http://kimmyville.blogspot.com/2009/02/welcome-to-my-town-kimmyville-i-want.html

As for the future, Ison's next project for 2010 is interesting.  All I can say about it is that it involves, comedy, improvisation and burlesque.  One thing is for certain: it will be entertaining!

More to follow about 2009 here in Kimmyville, but for now, I'll dash this off and post it ...a girl's gotta assemble her New Year's Eve garb, ya know '-)



pray for peace, y'all,
Kimmy

No comments: