is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Need a little Christmas, right this very minute...


I've noticed that some folks seem to really enjoy hating on Christmas, and I hate that, for them and for me. They damn Christmas carols as soon as they start, squint their eyes and clench their fists, exclaiming that they cannot bear to hear Joy to the World until after Thanksgiving, and how dare someone have all their shopping done this early?!

Me?  Well, bring me some figgy pudding, already -- I think Thanksgiving is a rather glorious time to seek out the Joy! What better time could there be to prepare myself for Advent than when I am surrounded by friends and family and giving thanks for all my blessings?  I will open my heart and my home and yes, even all humbuggers are invited to have their way with my bacon-wrapped-and-orange-stuffed turkey!  I want to find Christmas and hold it close to my heart as long as I can, before and after December 25th comes and goes.


I do wonder, though, what went wrong within the hearts of those who love to despise the signs and songs of the Season -- is it bitterness caused by traumas of Christmas past, is it a defense mechanism rearing its not-so-pretty head, or do they just figure it makes them look cool in their rush to scoff and say such things?  

Sadly, it's most likely a combination of both... but wait! Here before us is a wonderful opportunity to find a profound way to find Faith as a result of our doubt.


Maybe I am 'this way,' i.e., in love with Advent, because I sing in a choir.  Maybe I'm a Christmas-aholic because I want to tuck myself back into my childhood where the biggest fret of the Holiday was singing Little Drummer Boy as a duet with sister Karen without catching the giggles in the middle of the song.  Then again, perhaps I just plain ol' like the redeeming story of God's Love, and how, by accepting His gift of Forgiveness, we can transform our lives. Whatever the reason, I love the music of the Season, the reason for the Season, and am quite ready to watch White Christmas, drink eggnog, obsess over my tree and decorations - I'm ready to soak it all in! It's time...

So I have dusted off the piano for carols at the spinet, am praying for God to soften my heart toward those who have hurt me, and I am feeding my spiritual soul as much as possible by soaking up all the great Holiday entertainment that is afforded during this magical time of the year.
     
So imagine my delight when I realized that just next week, the Studio Players will open their show: Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol. In chatting with veteran Lexington actor Bob Singleton about his role, I learned that this Marley production puts a new spin on the Charles Dickens classic we all know and love.  The book is one of my very favorites, as is anything by Dickens, but my favorite version has always been Mr. Magoo as Scrooge :)
 
Singleton also serves on the board of Studio Players and was last seen on stage as Summerfest's  Dr. Jekyll last July. 


The photo of Bob with AGL's Eric Seale was taken at rehearsal for Tartuffe) 

     
Singleton talks about his character, the Bogle (BOH-gull), describing him as "a demon, a 'nasty little hell-sprite.' Kind of a nasty hybrid of Igor (or is that EYE-gor?), Gollum, Beetlejuice and Sid Vicious.  His purpose is to help/goad Marley through the process that will allow Marley to save Scrooge’s soul (kind of like a tour-guide/after-life coach from Hell), which in turn, will save Marley’s soul. But it’s not like he’s a goody-goody philanthropist. There is something at stake for the Bogle as well, but to find out what that is, well, people will have to come to the show to find out for themselves." 

Singleton has never been in or directed a Christmas Carol production, but "I’ve seen plenty. The story is rooted in Dickens' classic, and although Scrooge figures prominently in this show, and even though there are many familiar scenes and quotes, this production differs in both 'plot line' and style. Tom Mula wrote this play as a response to his friend’s daughter who believed Marley did not receive fair treatment in Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, so Mula gives us the story from Marley’s perspective, framing it as Marley’s attempt at salvation and a 'second chance.' Also, as Carly states in her Director’s Notes: 'Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol takes place on a different plane of consciousness. The characters exist somewhere between Heaven, Hell and Earth.'"


"As for the style, Mula uses ‘story theatre’ as his narrative mode. Story theatre, as coined by Paul Sills, allows the audience to not only uniquely create the play’s images in their mind’s eye but to embark on a journey that uses many styles of expression to improvise plays from stories, myths, folk tales and legends. In our story, each actor plays several characters, and at times acts as their own narrator commenting on their characters’ actions," he adds.


When asked if this is a new work , Singleton  explains, "This story was first written as a book, then a one-man show that premiered in 1998 at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago. We’re doing the 4-person version, which first premiered in 2001 at the Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival. So it is somewhat new, especially compared to A Christmas Carol."

     He also pointed out that while Marley is not a musical, "the original one-man show used a wonderful original sound design/score composed by Robert Neuhaus. We are using Neuhaus’ score for this production (a recording, not being played live)." He also emphasized that it is also not a comedy, but "there is certainly humor in the production, and warmth, but there are also high stakes for the characters involved…basically, eternity and Marley’s immortal soul. It’s an irreverent, funny, and moving story, that does speak to the true meaning of the holiday season."

Like most efforts of this sort, the rehearsal process helps actors and crew work out unforeseen wrenches in the proverbial machinery, sometimes challenging the performers to realize the true meaning of that old adage "the show must go on." Singleton recalls one such mishap: "I’ve made the Bogle a very physical character, and during one of my leaping, spinning exits, as I’m saying 'goodbye, goodbye,' I leapt off a set piece a little too enthusiastically, landed awkwardly and ran into a door….so my line came out as 'goodbye, OWWWWWWWW, goodbye.' The good news is, I stayed in character...and suffered no permanent, serious damage."




Thank goodness Bob and his Bogle survived! As he and the rest of the cast and crew put the finishing touches on their Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol, I plan to pay a visit to the set with my photographer friend Tom Eisenhauer. Stay tuned here in Kimmyville to see rehearsal photos and more of the story from the perspective of the show's director, Carly  Preston.


God bless us, every one!



Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol  opens at Studio Players on November 19th and runs through December 6th; an additional show has been added for Thursday, December 3rd, curtain time is 8pm.


Studio Players will also be sponsoring a winter donations drive during the run of the show...details to follow in my next blog.  Please note: Marley is already at about 80% capacity for the run, you can order tickets now: 859.225.0370 / lexarts.tix.com.






 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *







Something tells me the folks who complain about Christmas coming too soon to the retail merchants and radio stations are the same folks who go overboard buying gifts and blowing electrical circuits with their spectacular light displays. I learned a long time ago not to get wrapped up in the seasonal stressors, but to absorb the wonder of this time of year and allow myself to be a child again, even if it's only for a moment. 


Poor old Mr. Magoo as Scrooge...how could anyone not love him?


pray for peace,
people, everywhere!
Kimmy




No comments: