is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Transform Tuesdays with Tuesday Night Live (it's for kids :)

by Kim Thomas

School's out (or almost out), and about now, parents are most likely wishing their kids would have something safe and interesting to do. I know. I've been a parent, and my son is a parent. He keeps his children busy with activities that challenge them and keep their focus on positive events, goals, and giving back to the community. They are cheerleaders, they play violin, sing, are active in Earth Day events, participate in sports, debates, or simply take turns jumping on the trampoline in the backyard or shooting baskets in the driveway - life is good...for them, and for me. With four natural grandchildren and three adopted, MawMaw Kimmy gets lots of love when I visit, with a toddler in my lap or a teenager talking to me non-stop for hours on end. It's good to be the MawMaw...


I learned a long time ago when Travis was a tween that I had to make sure he had positive discipline in his life to keep him healthy. Thankfully, I enrolled him in the Beaumont band, he learned to love the Tuba, and marched for the award-winning Lafayette Generals for three years. My son went on to major in Music and thereafter, developed a great interest in making sure that young people have guidance -- therefore, what I am most proud of is that he is a good father. Children need goals, they need to know that tomorrow is all about them and what they can make of it and if making music is part of that, then all the better, right?

So you can imagine how excited I was to hear that the Downtown Lexington Corp. folks are bringing music for teenagers to downtown this summer. Starting tonight, Lexington kids will begin to enjoy a new series of Tuesday night events through July 28, providing entertainment in downtown Lexington geared toward high school age people. From 4:30 to 8:00 tonight in Cheapside, you can drop the kids off -- or come with -- and they can enjoy a few hours of meeting, greeting, eating, and having fun in a safe, alcohol-free environment. I like to call it Transform Tuesday. That's my name for it ... and it couldn't come at a better time!

Another interesting development is that the high school bands will be competing for an opportunity to play at Thursday Night Live. This is going to be a great summer -- find out how you can make it even better: for more information visit the Downtown Lexington web site at http://www.downtownlex.com/

pray for peace, y'all,

MawMaw Kimmy

No comments: