is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday after the Derby

by Kim Thomas

In all my many years, I have never really kept a journal like I always said I would. It's easy to start a diary, but it's a commitment to keep it up, to maintain it daily. I must have a dozen of them squirreled away, lost in a move or a breakup, probably in an old suitcase filled with calendars and cards that I just cannot throw away. Yes, journals
are tough to keep up, but what is discovered in the process of keeping one is that they are a great way to have a relationship with yourself, and you just might find some healing in doing that, no matter how kind fate has been to you...but enough about me, let's talk about me! (hehe)

I made this commitment to blog every day -- just a few months ago -- when I started KimmyVille. I have to say, I even surprised myse
lf being as faithful as I've been about blogging every day since that first blog. Hopefully, I write about interesting things to involve yourself in here in Lexington, something that is intriguing and happening, usually in the arts or activism community. Also, I did promise from the very start to inform you of my Kentucky Derby inclinations, provide tips, advice (and the accompanying disclaimers). Thereafter, I felt that task required a responsible and objective perspective -- that is, to research the records of 3-year-old Thoroughbreds who were starting to shine like the Derby contenders do every year and pick out a few favorites. At first, it was a weekly blog-nod to these hopeful horses, but then once the first Saturday in May was just a week away, I got the hankering to compile the horse by horse profiles...of twenty horses...yipes! Usually, it was their name or a come-from-behind victory that made them stand out in my mind, but I tried to give each of them equal attention, and I am grateful to those of you who have told me it was useful to you. Thanky!


Now that the
Derby is over, and 50-to-1 longshot MINE THAT BIRD has become the Kentucky Derby 2009 winner, I promise to keep your interest piqued with little gemstones of truth from the world of Thoroughbred racing.

Speaking of the Run for the Roses,
MINE THAT BIRD, Jockey Calvin Borel, and trainer Chip Woolley are the real rock stars here. They accomplished what nobody that I know of (apart from Woolley himself) predicted, by winning the greatest horse race in the world. Good for them! Also,
a little birdie told me that Woolley just happens to be one of the kindest people you'd want to know. Love those little birdies!

However, it's 'in for a penny, in for a pound,' I say. That means I will be following the Preakness' possible runners for the next 11 days, and of course, then I'll turn my focus on the Belmont.
(The cool thing is that the Preakness is two weeks from the Derby, and the Belmont is three weeks later, allowing me plenty of time to get the work done!)

I have to be grateful that the Derby made me a better journalist in the truest sense of the word. I hope to carry the day-to-day blog excitement forward as the best of the best compete to accomplished what the only great Affirmed accomplished with Steve Cauthen aboard so very many years ago: win the Triple Crown. Giddy. Yup.

pray for peace, y'all,
Kimmy

Photo of MINE THAT BIRD courtesy of Photos by Z; the photo of the hilarious yellow duct-tape rail sign made by Vinny the photographer is courtesy of Amy Owens.

No comments: