is the grass any bluer...

is the grass any bluer...
...in Cincinnati!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tracing the Rainbow Through the Rain

by Kim Thomas
I wish everyone loved me as much as John David does (see photo, right). Doesn't matter if I haven't spoken with him for years, JD always has words of comfort for me, he's eternally kind to me, and doesn't fall away when I'm feeling defeated or down about something.

However, I realize that not everyone appreciates me as JD does, so this Lenten season, I've made a promise to myself not to get upset with people for just being themselves. A few weeks ago, that seemed like an easy task, but it's turning out to be a lot more than I bargained for in terms of keeping that commitment.

I'm happy to say this Lenten promise has given me a perspective that I've never before experienced, though. Maybe this is what I should do year-round, and not just during the 40 days prior to Easter! Normally, when someone jokingly says something that they KNOW would get under my skin, my first reaction is to be offended. Now, however, I just don't "go there," as the kids say these days. For some reason, this resolution is always in the forefront of my thinking, and since I have to be accountable to myself for this, I found out something about that -- I'm a pretty tough moderator!

It is the battle between feeding the anger or letting it wither and die that we all struggle with.

Forgiveness is a Gift that is so much more generous than we think it is.

Pray for peace--KT
(photo by the lovely and talented Sacha Bernard ;)

No comments: